Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
St Peter's Country Inn
- The Limes
- Alexandre Hotel
- St Peter's Country Hotel
Grande Route de St Pierre, St Peter
Type of property
Early 19th century house, now a public house
Sold for £638,705 in 2006
Families associated with the property
One of Jersey's best-known shops started its life in St Peter's Village. As a young man, Abraham de Gruchy went to sea on one of his uncle's merchant ships but returned to Jersey in 1810 to establish a small general store in St Peter.
He purchased land from Matthieu Horton in 1818 and built the property that is now St Peter's Country Inn. He sold The Limes in 1832 to Jean Simon. In the 19th century the property was a private house, which was sold by Francois Becquet to Henry James Berry on 24 November 1894.
The property became the Alexandre Hotel and had a number of owners in the first half of the 20th century until it was purchased by Fred Webber Clarke from Charles Francis Webb in 1832, It became St Peter's Country Hotel, and finally St Peter's Country Inn.
Historic Environment Record entry
Early 19th century property, now public house, which retains its historic proportions and exterior character.
It is a landmark on the junction in the heart of St Peter's village and contributes to the roadside setting.
Twin flight of steps to raised central doorway with pilastered doorcase and voussoirs; round arch with cobweb fanlight.