St Stephens Church
St Stephens Church is an Anglican church in Les Rocquettes, St Peter Port, dedicated to St Stephen the Martyr. It was built to cater for the growing population in the western part of the parish of St Peter Port. The foundation stone was laid in 1862, and it opened for worship on 6 Jan 1865.
The architect, George Frederick Bodley, designed the building in the Early English, Gothic Revival style, with tall arches and long narrow windows. Built in local pink and blue granite, it has pillars and arches of Caen stone. St. Stephen’s has a wonderful selection of stained glass. In particular, the church is noted for an important series of windows by William Morris, which are amongst his firm’s earliest work.
The Priaulx Library holds microfilm copies of parish registers of baptisms (1881-1965), marriages (1885-1920) and burials (1885-1957).