Surcouf family page
Marriage record of Francois Surcouf and Pauline La Trouite
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This name is of French origin and means 'black wolf'.
It is said to be specifically of Normandy origin and could also come from a Normandy commune of the same name, which is said to derive from a word meaning 'black hill'.
This is not a family which has been long-established in Jersey. It appears that the first Surcouf immigrants arrived in Jersey around the middle of the 19th century as agricultural workers. Alexandre Surcouf, who married Adele Quenault had arrived by the time of the 1851 census and appears to have been the first of his name to settle and raise a family in Jersey, although others may have gone to the island earlier as seasonal workers but not been present for the 1841 census.
His, and two other short family trees are linked below.
No links have yet been found to the original families in France, but it likely that the Jersey immigrants came from Normandy, rather than Britanny, from where the majority of agricultural workers were recruited.
Great War service
- Ernest Francis Surcouf (St P), Private, Canada
- Pierre Charles Surcouf (1887- ) (St L) son of Alfred Francis and Elizabeth ex-RMIJ, Private, RJGB
These wills created by members of the Surcouf family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1978, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ellen Surcouf, Frisco, Marina Avenue, St Clement - 27 March 1942, D/Y/A/109
- François Surcouf of France, now of St Mary - 6 June 1896, D/Y/A/55
- John Surcouf, St Peter 26 May 1945 - 3 January 1947, D/Y/A/117
- Pierre Surcouf of Nicolas de Pierrepont, France, now of St Peter, bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, 5s - 8 October 1887, D/Y/A/46
- Pierre Surcouf, Church Farm, St Mary - 17 November 1923, D/Y/A/83
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs