Thatcher family page
If you can help with information about the Thatcher family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
As might be expected, this surname is derived from the profession of roof thatcher.
The family can be traced back in Jersey to mason Charles Thatcher, of Bridport, Dorset, who came to Jersey shortly before the 1841 census. He returned to Dorset in 1843 to marry Sarah Gillard and then they settled in Jersey and brought up a family of eight children. John's family can be traced back to John Thetcher, born in about 1718 in Devon. He married Hannah Cross in September 1743 in Exeter, six months after the birth of their son, also John.
Great War service
- Charles John Thatcher, DSC, MSM (1883-) (St H) son of John Charles and Jane Ann Laurens, RSM Royal Marine Light Infantry, wounded
- James George Alexander Thatcher (St H) ex-RMIJ, Lieutenant, Montreal Regiment
- Reuben Laurens Thatcher (1887- ) (St H) son of John Charles and Jane Ann Laurens, ex-RMIJ, Private, Royal Defence Corps
These wills created by members of the Thatcher family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Thatcher, Pontac - 19 March 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Emily Thatcher née Smith, 1 Hampton Place The Parade, St Helier, widow - 18 December 1940, D/Y/A/107
- John Thatcher, St Helier - 14 January 1922, D/Y/A/82