The Fiefs d'Anneville, Everat and Lempriere
Obligations to King
There is reason to believe that these fiefs were originally carved out of Le Fief du Roi in the Parish of St Martin. Originally all the land, in Normandy, in the Channel Islands, and after 1066 in England, belonged to the King. He parcelled it out among his faithful followers on certain conditions:
- Military service of 40 days duration
- His right of guardianship of the children of the person to whom he granted the land
- His right of choosing a husband should the possessor of the fief be a lady
- Relief which was the right of the King or the Seigneur of a Fief to a fine on the succession of a tenant who had died.
But later lands ultimately reverted to the King for three reasons:
- Adherence of a tenant to a foreign monarch instead of following the Duke of Normandy or the King of England.
- Forfeited to the King by reason of the tenant having committed crimes, then being either hanged or burnt - these forfeited lands were known as escheats.
- Lack of direct heirs of a tenant.
The carucate (an area of land comprising 60 acres) of Anneville, or Aunneville, may have been the original Fief du Roi, but it is only by a perusal of the Extente of 1331, that we know the real reason.
The Extente of 1274 recites the following sources of revenue received by the King from this carucate:
- 61 sols 6 deniers of money rent annually
- 29 fowls at 4 sols 10 deniers each.
- 10 loaves at 15 deniers each with 14 of a cheaper quality at 14 deniers each
- 420 eggs at 21 deniers each.
- 6 quarters 3 bushels of wheat worth 67 sols 6 deniers
- 14 geese worth 8 sols 2 deniers.
The King received the eleventh sheaf of the champart, that is, the right to the twelfth sheaf of wheat and the twelfth handful of flax.
Other lands held by the King in St Martin were
- St Martin's Marsh
- the Fief of Hamon Eyreward, the spelling of the suffix of which may ultimately have been altered into Everard
- the lands of Pour pay
- 3 acres of land near the Castle from which Herbage (the right of pasturage), the sale of rabbits, 3 quarters of wheat at 30 sols realised cash for the King
- customs (import duties) from the port of Gorryk (Gorey).
The same Extente gives the names of escheated lands with their tenants in 1274; in some cases the area, and in all cases, the rente paid, sometimes in cash but mostly in kind, are given:
- Tollysack: Luc Le Gayner - 11 vergees - 4 Qrs 1 cabot
- Amannuris: Jourdain Hugon - 2 Qrs 1 cabot; Richard Le Lieu; Richard Blundel - 1 acre - 1 Qr 1 loaf, 1 capon; Arnauld Bastard; Guillaume, dit Le Roi - 1 vergee 3 cabots
- Aladubbeur: Thomas Le Aaffole - 2 vergees 3 bushels; Nicolas de la Hougue, (a priest), his sisters 1 carucate 60 sols 1 capon
- Des Manuris: Matthew dit Chevalier - 1 cab 1 denier.
Regarding the escheat of Nicolas de la Hougue, it is said in the above Extente that it had been granted to his sisters with the connivance of the Bailiff on the oath of 12 men bribed with gifts. The jury reported that it should revert to the King, which it subsequently did.
In 1294 the French devastated Jersey and the Islanders suffered many hardships. There were several persons who were dispossessed of their lands for having adhered to the enemy in the late wars, so the Assize Roll of 1309 recorded. In that year Sir John de Fressingfield and two other Justices in Eyre were appointed to investigate, among other matters, the King's revenues and forfeited lands. The Jury in St Martin gave the following list of escheats or forfeited lands:
The Carucate of D'Anneville: Hamon Dervaut; the ancient fee of Tollisak (mentioned in 1274); Fanegot, a bastard (there is a field name in St Martin called Finnigot); Nicholas de la Hougue (mentioned in 1274 as one in the King's hands); la Rause, a bastard; la Foleye, hanged; la Carrere, abjured; Florus, a bastard (there is a field called Fleury); Millais; Malnori (the Mannuris of 1274); Thomas de la Hougue; la Duweresse, a bastard; Joan Percequoer, a bastard, since dead; the carucate Everard.
The carucates of Everard and d'Anneville appear then in 1309 to have been Royal fiefs, although in the Assize Roll there is no mention of le fief du Roi. The duties of the King's men, that is the tenants, are therein detailed: "The duty of carrying the wine, hay and firewood wheresoever the King's officers shall wish in the Island. The same tenants must find at their own cost all the planks for the King's Mill called le Grand Moulin ... but the King must find the Mill-stones, iron work and wood-work."
The tenants of the carucate of Everard had to furnish "a certain pair of rings or fetters to keep the prisoners and at the will of the King's officers". The reason for the name of the carucate of Danneville is given in the Extente of 1331. In that year it was tenanted by Jean du Mont and Guillaume Corbey from the King as their predecessors had been accustomed to do so from a certain Raoul Danneville "a knight who took the part of the Normans in the days of King John", hence it had reverted to the King after this knight's defection.
Jean du Mont and Guillaume Corbey had to find a prison in the house formerly belonging to Nicolas Dyrvaud, wherein the stocks were to be placed to put any prisoners in durance vile.
In this Extente, that of 1331, the services of the King's tenants are recorded at greater length, one of which was to appoint a prevot among their number whose business it would be to collect the King's rents and pay them to the Receiver, (except the champart and the geese). The prevot was responsible for summons and arrests within the carucate.
The King's Bailiff was empowered to hold a Court of the tenants and the revenue expected from the fines was duly enumerated. The carucate Everard, which had been taken into the King's hands in 1274 as an escheat of a bastard, was held in 1331 by a chief tenant and parceners, as it had been held from that bastard, paying a total of 5 sols 5 deniers for greverie - a charge, service, corvee which the tenants owed to the Lord of the Manor": 1 quarter 1 cabot 4 sixtonniers of wheat, 1 capon worth 4 deniers, one loaf worth 1 denier, and champart worth 3 livres. The fief had no court and the only service due was the provision of a prevot with the same duties as that of Anneville. The total revenue worked out at 3 livres 17 sols 11 deniers per annum at the low rate of 7 sols 9 deniers per bouvee.
The first direct reference to the fief of Anneville appears in the Report of the Commissioners, George Treheyron and Reginald Meynours, sent to Jersey in 1516. The Jury of St Martin made the following statement:
- "That Guillaume Messervy, one of the Jurats of the Island of Jersey, retains and occupies the fief of Anneville in the Parish of St Martin which fief belongs to the King and is worth 30 crowns yearly; and that the said William has only paid so far the sum of 16 crowns and has occupied this fief for more than 20 years, thus depriving the King of 14 crowns yearly."
No action appears to have been taken.
The Extente compiled in 1528 contains a paragraph entirely devoted to the "fee of Anneville paiable at iiii termes in the year by evyn porcions that is to say, Mighelmas, Cristermas, Ester, and Midsomer."
"William Messervy for the said fee by the year paid 48s, or seven quarters, and an 'undecipherable' amount of cabots of wheat."
When we tum to the Extente compiled in 1607 we find that the fee of Esverert (presumably the Everard of 1309) is listed with that of Anneville, and the section dealing with these fiefs, says:
- " Wheats due for the Fee of Anneville and Esverert to be delivered in one John Hubert's house upon the fee of Anneville in a chamber prepared for the purpose with Lock and Key thereunto appurteyning. The tenants of the Fee of Esverert are subject to the services in all things as the Tenants of the Fee of Anneville and do owe yearly to levies by the Prevost of that fee (one loaf and 1 capon)."
The paragraph concerning the champart of both fees has a contemporary interest:
- " The campart ... belongs to His Majesty, the tenants of which fee are bound to carry and stack the camperts (sic) ... at His Majesty's pleasure, and is now in the Governor's hands for the better provision of his House .... ".
The House referred to is the one which still remains at Elizabeth Castle, which had been built during the years 1594 to 1602 by Paul Ivy.
Fines for straying cattle
The tenants of four fees, the King's fee, the fee of Anneville, the fee of the Abbesse of Caen and that of Guille Payne were liable to be fined if their cattle were found straying outside their own fields - this fine was called Verpes, and the Extente of 1607 states that the fines from this straying of cattle had amounted to 15 sous in 1606.
There is a reminder to the effect that "Lands lying and being on the King's Fees forfeited by Attainder and conviction of criminals appertains likewise to the King. And likewise all felon's goods upon whatsoever fee the same shall be."
Another interesting item related in the 1607 Extente is the fact that John Perin, fils Hugh, Seigneur of Rozel "for the rent of two fish ponds ... is to pay 6 carps yearly" by an agreement made by the said Hugh. The fish ponds are still there in Rosel Manor gardens.
Two parks are mentioned as lying in the King's Fee - Bertram Park and the Park or Close of la belle Fountayne, which were let out at 5 crowns and 10 crowns 15 sols, respectively. These rents were used for the upkeep of the Governor's House at Elizabeth Castle.
The three Commissioners to investigate the Crown dues in 1645-6 had no need to report as the Fief was still in the hands of the King. Charles II came to Jersey on 17 September 1649, and before his departure for Breda the following year, he sold the fiefs of Anneville, Everard and Lempriere to Elie de la Place on 12 January 1650 for 4035 livres tournois, a little over £300.
1590-1660. The Rev Elie de la Place
This clergyman, reputed to be one of the wealthiest persons in the Island at the time of his death, was born about the year 1590 at St Ouen. He was one of the five sons of the Rev Pierre de la Place, the Rector of St Ouen, and Marie Girard, his wife. Both the Rev Pierre and his wife had fled from France on account of their religious opinions and settled in St Ouen, where he gave his name to the property he purchased, still known to this day as La Place. The above is recited in a formal document dated 1 October 1641, given by the Bailiff, Sir Philippe de Carteret, Seigneur of St Ouen, and a number of Jurats, to the Rev Elie de la Place as a proof of his descent.
The Rev Elie de la Place married twice. His first wife was Jeanne Dagobert, the daughter of Julian Dagobert, the Seigneur of La Hayrie in Normandy, by whom he had one daughter, Marie (1623-1662), who married Philippe de Carteret (sometimes known as 'of Grouville') the brother of Sir George Carteret. Mr de la Place's second wife was Jeanne du Bas, who died in 1652 and was buried at Grouville.
Originally Elie de la Place was intended for a military career and went to Paris to receive an education with that object in view so the Rev Elie Brevint tells us in his diary. He was present at the siege of Juliers. He eventually decided to follow a clerical career and returned to Jersey when he became the Rector of St Clement in 1614, and officiated in that capacity until 1623, when he became the Rector of Grouville.
While Rector of this parish, one Jean Payn (son of Edouard) sold on 13 March 1628 to him "and to his successors to that office a kitchen garden on the King's fief adjoining the Presbytery alongside the parish cemetery." This contrat is particularly interesting as it mentions "le Champ des Alleurs" situated close by and belonging to the gift.
He was a most zealous adherent of the Royalist Cause and it was while Rector of Grouville that he was taken prisoner by the advance guard of Leonard Lydcot's Parliamentary forces when they landed at Bouley Bay in 1643. Other important supporters of Charles I who were apprehended were Jean Le Hardy (the Attorney-General), and Daniel de Gruchy, the Rector of St Peter. They were all marched to Bouley Bay and imprisoned in the Parliamentary ships anchored there. Shortly afterwards, they were put ashore on the recommendation of the ship's captain because they were so seasick. They were then marched to St Helier and detained for a while, after which they were released on bail.
After the collapse of Lydcot's regime, Mr de la Place continued to serve in his capacity of Rector until 1645, when he became the Rector of St Martin. It was during this period of his being the Rector of St Martin that he purchased the fiefs of Anneville, Everard and Lempriere from Charles II on 12 January 1650 for 4035 livres tournois, a little over £300.
The new Seigneur, so the Extente of 1668 recites, had to maintain at his own expense a cavalry man equipped for warfare every time the enemy assailed the Island or were in its vicinity. This person was to be so appointed by the Governor. The Seigneur also had to pay 100 sols by way of relief and a crown (of money) was due to the King's prevot from that of Anneville. The fiefs were to remain impartible in the male or collateral line for ever.
After the siege of Elizabeth Castle by Colonel Haines in October 1651, Elie de la Place prevailed upon his son-in-law, Philippe de Carteret de Grouville, (the brother of Sir George Carteret) to surrender Mont Orgueil. Chevalier tells us "Mons de la Place was not shut in the Castle but came to the gate and advised those inside to surrender". The actual date of surrender was 4 November 1651.
In 1652 he again became the Rector of Grouville as d' Assigny, who had formerly been the Rector of St Helier, now desired the Rectorate of St Martin. Elie de la place died in 1660, "d'age fort ancien". He was buried in the Parish Church of Grouville on 9 October 1660.
After his death, one Matthew Dore compiled an inventory of his estate. It seems that he possessed an annual income of 600 quarters of wheat rente. "His books were neglected during the last years of his life. Not only were they to be found in his bedroom and in his study, but also in the dining room and kitchen. Besides sustaining other large and sundry losses, Elie de la place had lent Charles II 2000 francs", so wrote the Rev Elie Brevint in his diary.
1623-1662. MARIE DE LA PLACE = PHILIPPE DE CARTERET OF GROUVILLE-1665• She was, as already stated, the only daughter and heiress of the Rev. Elie de la place and his first wife, Jeanne Dagobert. She married Philippe de Carteret, the brother of Sir George Carteret, in St. George's Chapel at Mont Orgueil. She died in 1662, the last member of that family to become Lady of Anneville, a most estimable person,
who, as is written in the Parish Register of St. Martin" fut regrette du peuple, de ses tenants, et des pauvres, aux quels elle faisait beaucoup d'aumones." Philippe de Carteret was the second son of Jurat Elie de Carteret and of Elizabeth Dumaresq, daughter of Hugh Dumaresq of Sark. He became a Jurat on the death of his father and was sworn in on September 17, 1640 which office he held till the arrival of the Parliamentarians. He was appointed Colonel of Mont Orgueil Castle in 1642 and retained this post until his brother Sir George became the Lieut.-Governor (1644-1651). In 1647 he . became the Colonel of the Militia of the four eastern parishes, St. Helier, St. Saviour, St. Clement and Grouville. He still remained in charge at Mont Orgueil but" when the Parliamentarians arrived in Jersey in the October of 1651, Sir George Carteret's first care was to send some soldiers to Mont Orgueil under Major Villas (a Swiss) to help to defend it. At first Col. Philippe de Carteret refused to surrender it to the Parliamentarians but he was badly supported not only by the garrison but by the English Major who had been put there by the King's orders and who enjoined them to mutiny. The master gunner who had been there for more than twenty-five years refused to act and threatened to hand over their Governor (= Colonel) to the enemy if he did not promptly surrender which he was compelled to do ten or twelve days after the capture of the Island without having been able to warn his brother (Sir George) of the disgraceful state of disloyalty manifested to him by his troops." This is a contemporary account (B.S.J. II. 23) but Chevalier in his "Journal" (p. 950), as we have stated, says that Philippe de Carteret's father-in-law, the Rev. Elie de la Place, persuaded him to surrender. Philippe de Carteret was allowed to remain in Jersey during the Parliamentary occupation. He retained his estates and" was granted an Act of Oblivion for past offences." At the Restoration, he again became a Jurat and was sworn in as Lieut. Bailiff on July 28, 1660. Sir Philippe de Carteret, Seigneur of St. Ouen, was appointed Bailiff of Jersey on February 26, 1661 and nominated Philippe de Carteret of Grouville as his Lieutenant on April 25, 1661. On the death of Sir Philippe de Carteret in 1662, Philippe de Carteret of Grouville became the Bailiff of Jersey being sworn in on March 5, 1663. He died in the September of 1665 and was buried on the ryth in Grouville Church. Philippe de Carteret of Grouville and Marie de la Place had a large family of whom three can be mentioned: • (1) The Rev. Elie de Carteret (b. 1651) who became a Fellow of Exeter College, Oxford, and later the Rector of Coates in Gloucester and afterwards of Poole-Keynes in Wiltshire.
His family appear to have settled in England except his daughter who married Jean Le Hardy. (2) Philippe de Carteret b. 1652-1692, o.s.p. the next Seigneur. (3) Elizabeth de Carteret b. 1647. She married Benjamin Dumaresq I of Augres. He was sworn as a Jurat in 1679 on the death of Thomas Pipon, and died in 1681. Benjamin Dumaresq I and Elizabeth de Carteret, his wife, had two sons and one daughter: (1) Philippe Dumaresq, 1671-1729, Seigneur of Anneville in right of his mother. (2) Benjamin Dumaresq II who married Anne Hilgrove. (3) Marie Dumaresq who married Clement Chevalier. 1652-1692. PHILIPPE DE CARTERET. We learn from the Manorial Rolls of Anneville that Philippe de Carteret was the next Seigneur" having right to it from Elie de Carteret, his brother, eldest son of Philippe de Carteret and the late Marie de la Place, his wife, who was the daughter of the late Mons. Elie de la Place." It would then seem from the above that the Rev. Elie de Carteret declined the honour of holding the Seigneurie of the three manors and delegated it to his brother after the death of his father Philippe de Carteret of Grouville in 1665. Philippe de Carteret Junior retained it up till the time of his death in 1692. He never married and consequently, so the Rental informs us, the Manors devolved upon his nephew Philippe Dumaresq, the son of Benjamin Dumaresq I and Elizabeth de Carteret. 1671-1729. PHILIPPE DUMARESQ. He succeeded to the fiefs in 1692 and by marrying Deborah Dumaresq 1683-1702, the daughter and heiress of Philippe Dumaresq, Seigneur of Samares, was, after her death in 1702, Seigneur of that Manor in right of his wife. He occupied high positions in the Magistracy of the day, fulfilling on three occasions the interim post of Juge Delegue before a Lieut. Bailiff was appointed. Philippe Dumaresq became a Jurat on March 10, 17II, replacing Philip Le Geyt. On the death of the Lieut. Bailiff, Charles de Carteret, Seigneur of Trinity, he was sworn as Juge Delegue on April 26, 1712. On the death of the Lieut. Bailiffhe was again elected Juge Delegue on May 9, 1713. A third time he filled that position being sworn in on July 22, 1728. But later in that year, he was ill and relinquished office on December zj rd 1728. He died in the October of 1729 and was buried in the Parish Church of St. Clement on the zjrd of that month. As already stated, Philippe Dumaresq married Deborah Dumaresq the Lady of Samares Manor. She died in 1735.
1678-1728. MARIE DUMARESQ = CLEMENT CHEVALIER 1674-1719. After the death of Philippe Dumaresq, leaving no issue, his sister, Marie Dumaresq became the lady of Anneville. She was born in 1678 and died in 1738. She married Clement Chevalier (b. 1674, d. 1719) who, for many years, was a Centenier of St. Helier, and, who on May II, 1717 became the Constable of St. Helier. He only occupied the office for two years; he died about April 30, 1719 and was buried at St. Heller on May 2, 1719. He was a Captain in the Jersey Militia. Clement Chevalier and Marie Dumaresq had a large family (B.S.J. V. S) three of whom must be mentioned: (I) Clement Benjamin Chevalier II, b. 1697. (2) Deborah Chevalier, 1702-1772. (3) Elizabeth Chevalier. b. 1697. CLEMENT CHEVALIER II. According to the Court Rolls of the Manor, he was the" eldest son and principal heir of the late Marie Dumaresq who was the heiress of the late Philippe Dumaresq." He took over on June IS, 1728 and the Extente Rolls of the Manor date from then. Clement Chevalier II was a Lieutenant in the South Regiment of the Militia in I7IS. He did not remain in the Island, for a cousin, Temple Chevalier of Aspall Hall, Suffolk, bequeathed him property there by Will dated November 10, 1732 and he resided there for the rest of his days. While Clement Chevalier II was out of the Island he appointed his sister Deborah Chevalier as his attorney. She is described as such in the Rolls of the Memorial Court for June 24 1739, and acted in that capacity till her death in 1772 :- " Les Chefs Plaids de la Cour du Fief et Seigneurie d' Anneville; Evrat et Lempriere tenues sur ledit Fief Lempriere dans la maison de Mr. Charles Aubin, ca-ux par devant Elie Dumaresq, Gent, fils Elie, Senechal, a l'instance de Mon. Philippe le Couteur, Procureur et de Demoiselle Deborah Chevalier, Procuratrice de Clement Chevalier, Gent. Seigneur desdits Fiefs et Seigneurie. " After the death of Deborah Chevalier, the three Manors devolved upon her cousin Elizabeth Dumaresq the daughter of Benjamin Dumaresq II and Anne Hilgrove. It is interesting to record that among the descendants of Clement Chevalier II was Lord Kitchener of Khartoum whose mother was Frances Chevalier (B.S.]. V. SI). 17°8-1794. ELIZABETH DUMARESQ = JACQUES PIPON, Seigneur de Noirmont, b. 1708 married Dec. 1732, bur. 13 Feb. 1766. The Roll of the Memorial Court dating August S, 1772, commences: " Les Plaids de la Cour du Fief et Seigneurie d' Anneville, Evrat et Lempriere
tenus sur ledit FiefLempriere dans la Maison de Richard Norfolk par devant Thomas Pip on, Ecr., fils Josue, senr, a l'instance d'Elie Pip on, Gent, Procureur de Demlle Elizabeth Dumaresq, sa mere, Dame et Proprietaire desdits Fiefs." This entry suggests that Elizabeth Dumaresq was now the Lady of Anneville and a note on a loose sheet of paper in the Book of the Rolls confirms that Dlle. Eliz. Dumaresq was in possession on August 5, 1772. Jacques Pipon, the husband of Elizabeth Dumaresq, was deputy Attorney General during the years 1730, 1732, during the period he was an Advocate of the Royal Court,1733-1743. He became a Jurat in 1743 which office he held to the time of his death in 1766. He was buried in the Church of St. Brelade, February 13, 1766. Elizabeth Dumaresq, the Lady of Anneville, was buried in the same church on February 3, 1794 "sous leur bane," thus she survived her husband by twenty-eight years. Jacques Pipon and Elizabeth Dumaresq had a large family (See Pedigree B.S.]. VI p. 192) but only two concern the story of the three Manors. (I) Elie Pipon 1737-1788, Seigneur of Noirmont, Constable of St. Brelade 1774-1776. Jurat 1776-1788. He died in 1788 and was buried in St. Brelade's Church on December 22 of that year" sous son bane de la neuve galerie." He died unmarried. (2) Elizabeth Pip on b. 1734 d. 1819. She married, at Noirmont Manor, Jean Poingdestre I (fils Jean) of St. Saviour, he was a Jurat from 1779 to 1800. 1734-1819. ELIZABETH PIPON. = JEAN POINGDESTRE I d. 1800. He is described as Seigneur d'Anneville (B.S.J. IV, p. 290) and in the note found among the Rolls of the three Manors we gather that he took over on June 30, 1774. The preamble to the Court Roll for that day reads :- "Les Chefs Plaids de la Cour du Fief et Seigneurie d' Anneville, Evrat et Lempriere tenus sur le dit fief Evrat, dans la maison de Rachel Ie Seeleur, par devant Thomas Pipon, fils Josue, Seneschal-Instance de Jean Poingdestre, Seigneur et proprietaire desdits Fiefs et Seigneurie." He was sworn a Jurat of the Royal Court on August 28, 1779 on the death of his father, likewise a Jurat, and continued in that capacity till his death in the September of 1800. He was buried in the Church of St. Saviour on the joth of that month. Jean Poingdestre I, by his wife Elizabeth Pipon, had one son :- 1756-I83I. JEAN POINGDESTRE II. He was born in 1756 and sworn in as Jurat on Jtme 9, 180r. He was the fifth Jurat who bore the surname of Poingdestre from father to son, all descended in a direct line from Jean Poingdestre, Lieut. Bailiff, the author of" Casarea ".
He married Elizabeth, the daughter of Matthew Gosset, by whom he had two sons. (I) Jean Poingdestre III. (2) Jacques Poingdestre. I746-I83I. JEAN POINGDESTRE III. Jean Poingdestre III died in 1831 and was buried in St. Saviour's Cemetery on the rzth of September of that year having officiated as Jurat for 30 years. Jean Poingdestre III married twice, his first wife being Jane, the daughter of Clement Hemery, by whom he had a daughter, and secondly, Martha, the daughter of Clement Ruding by whom he had a son, Edward Gibbs Poingdestre. He acquired the Manor of Grainville in St. Saviour; and on August 25, 1825, he sold the four manors of Anneville, Everat, Lempriere and Grainville to Messrs. Philippe and Francois Godfray of St. Martin for £1212. As already stated, the ownership of the Manors changed hands in 1825, and shortly afterwards, Messrs Philippe and Francois Messervy sold the fief of Grainville in St. Saviour to Mr. James Robin. On March 27th, 1827, Mr. Philippe Godfray resigned his share of the three Manors to his brother Prancois. Both these gentlemen were the sons of Mr. Philippe Godfray and of Francoise Fauvel. Mr. Philippe Godfray, junior, was born in 1774, he was the Constable of St. Martin from I8Il to 1814, and again from 1825 to 1834. He died in 1843. 1781-1846. Mr. FRANCOIS GODFRAY. Mr. Francois Godfray who bought the three Manors was the Greffier of the Royal Court from I8I2 to 1846. It was during his term of office that certain changes were made regarding the housing of all Books and documents belonging to the States of the Greffe took place. In fact, the late Rev. J. A. Messervy devoted considerable space to this gentleman who appears to have been absent from the Island and, for whose post, deputies were appointed. (B.S.]. VIII, pp. 214-216). After the death of Mr. Francois Godfray, the States passed the following" Acte" of condolence and of appreciation :- " 1846 November joth." Francois Godfray having been relieved of his functions as Greffier of the Royal Court and the Treasurer of the States by death, the States have unanimously resolved to tender to his family their deep regret, and their approbation of the sterling inte¬grity, zeal and the indefatigable industry which he has displayed in the execution of his office in all its importance and laborious aspects, which office he maintained
to the last moment of his days to the entire satisfaction of this Assembly as well as to the general public of this Island. " At the same time the States have requested their President to transmit this " Acte" to Mons. Jacques Godfray," the son of the deceased. Mr. Francois Godfray married Mary Le Gallais (d. Nov. 1832) by whom he had one son Jacques Godfray who later became Sir James Godfray,-(1807-1897). (1807-1897). Sir JAMES GOD FRAY. He was as said above, the only son of Francois Godfray, the Greffier of the Royal Court (1812-1846). He was originally intended for the Law and was sworn in as an Advocate on November zxrh, 1838, having been previously a solicitor in the place of Mr. Philippe Le Couteur. He tendered his resignation as a Barrister in 1853• His great life's work was spent with the Royal Jersey Militia and when only twenty-four on July rst 183 I he became an ensign in the znd Regiment of the North Regiment. On May z jrd, 1833, he was listed as Lieutenant in the Artillery of the Militia. Ten years later, on April r rth, 1843, he received the Command of the East Regiment after the retirement of Lieut. Col. Touzel. He took the greatest interest in the corps and was always found at its head at the Annual Review Day (May zath) till the year 1896 when failing health prevented him from taking his place at the Annual Inspection. He had then spent sixty-six years with the Militia. In 1879, he was chosen Aide de Camp to Queen Victoria in succession to Colonel Hemery and in 1881 received the honour of Knighthood. He had been invited to take part in the arrangements made in London on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, but his ill health prevented him from participating in those preliminaries, much to his great disappointment. He was one of the founders of the National Jersey Rifle Association and for some years was its President. Although during these years that he was actively connected with the Militia, yet from 1857 to 1871, he was Deputy for his native Parish of St. Martin and was the first to be so elected when these functionaries were created in 1857; on March zoth, 1865, he was elected Jure-Justicier in the place of Mr. Jean Le Couteur, but on the. joth, of that month he refused to take the oath. A week later, the Court upheld his decision and ordered a new election. Sir James Godfray married Albina, the daughter of George Ingouville, of La Pregonniere, a house which stood near the site of the present " Hotel de France " in St. Saviour's Road. By his wife, Sir James had two daughters :-
(I) Albina Mary, born 1886, who married Capt. J. L. W. Lucas (adjutant of the West Regiment), she died shortly after her marriage. (2) Florence Maria Georgina, who on February roth, 1895, married Capt. George Powell Stewart, (Adjutant of the East Regiment) later Sir George Powell Stewart. He died on roth July, 1945. FLORENCE MARIA GEORGINA GODFRAY =Sir GEORGE POWELL STEWART. Sir George Stewart who was born on October 7th, 1861, and, as already stated, on February 14th, 1895, married Miss Florence Maria Georgina Godfray, the elder of Sir James Godfray's daughters. His military career commenced in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and as previously noted, he was from 1891 to 1903 the D.A.A.G. to the Royal Jersey Militia. He had, previous to this local appointment, seen service in the Burmese Campaign of 1891-1892 and in the South African or Boer War of 1900-1902, where he gained the Queen's Medal with three clasps and later the King's medal with two clasps. By his wife he had three children :- (I) John Houghton Stewart, born on roth November 1895, but while serving as a Lieutenant in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in France was killed during the first World War on May roth, 1915. (2) Hugh Charlie Godfray Stewart (Sir) of whom more presently. (3) Mary Stewart, who was born on December rzth, 1899, and who married on April zoth, 1930, Guy Janvrin Robin, ofLe Petit Menage of St. Saviour, son of C. J. Robin, Esq. of Steephill, St. Saviour. Lady Stewart presided at the last held Memorial Court of the Fief of Anneville. Lady Stewart died in 1957. Sir HUGH CHARLIE GOD FRAY STEWART. The Present Lord of the three Fiefs was born on April r jth, 1897, and was educated at Bradfield College and at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst. He became a Major in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and fought in the first World War of 1914-1918. He was the Assistant Commandant of the Imperial Forces Transhipment Camp at Durban seeing service in Syria and Dunkirk in the Second World War. Sir Hugh Stewart has been married twice, in 1929 to Miss Rosemary Eleanor Dorothy Peacock, the daughter of Major George Peacock, by whom he has one son, David John Christopher Stewart, born on June roth, 1935, and one daughter Eleanor Godfray, born March yth, 1938, who married Mr. John McDonnel in 1953. His first marriage was dissolved.
His second wife was Miss Diana Margaret Hibbert, the daughter of Captain J. E. Hibbert, M.C., D.F.C., and of Mrs. R. B. Bannon of Blanchard House, St. Peter, Jersey. By his present wife he has a son, Hugh Nicholas Stewart, born zoth April 1955, and one daughter, Jane Diana, born April znd, 1949• APPENDIX. INTERESTING EXTRACTS FROM THE COURT ROLLS OF THE MANORS OF ANNEVILLE, EVERAT AND LEMPRIERE. 1738. June IS• " Thomas Le Lievre, son of Philippe, was sworn in as Officer ofVraics for the harbour of Prequeronvel and has taken an oath that he will do the job
proper y. A similar oath taken by Jean Messervy, son of Elie, for the harbours of Mont Orgueil and Portelet. " Mr. Abraham Bertram, Jacques Renouf were reported as being disobe¬dient to the Seigneur of the Fief of Anneville in that they had not paid their "c "d fc th " ampart ues or e year I737. Many others similarly reported. 1739. January 26. The Prevot of the fiefs declared that Clement le Selleur, Michelle Bastard and Jacques Asplet " doivent leurs noces ". Mr. Charles Machon v. Elie Syvret and Philip Bertram. The latter summoned the former to restore a piece of timber or pay its equivalent value as Machon is stated to have found it on the beach at Gorey, which timber belonged to Syvret and Bertram. 1740. November I9• Benjamin Luce fmed for having gathered vraic contrary to orders. "Pierre le Ray and Charles Mallet have taken the oath as officers for Vrecqs at the Havre de la Roche Rondel (the original spelling ofl'Archirondel) and have promised to do the job properly." " Similarly Phle Messervy son of Elie and Phle Gaudin appointed the Officers at the" havres d' Anneport and la fresnine." I
1741. June 22. The Prevot stated that he had found a quantity of iron on the rock known as Les Puits on the fief of Anneville. 1743• June 6. Philippe le Croignier summoned at the instance of the Attorneys of the Seigneur of the Fief of Anneville to pay for a log of wood found on the seashore, the said Croignier having appropriated it. The Prevot declared that Jacques Nicolle had found several boxes of' Prets ' (Pears) at sea and had brought them on the fief of Anneville. Seeing that this was perishable, it was ordered that they be publicly sold before the Greffier of the Court who will be deemed responsible for the proceeds of the sale. 1744. Sept. 22. "Suzanne Ahier, widow of Clement Laffoley and guardian of her children, binds herself to pay to the Attorneys of the Seigneur 26 cabots of wheat rente for the succession of" Dmlle Marie Carteret Seatle dying without heirs." 1757. September 28. " Dlle. Debora Chevallier, Attorney of Clement Chevallier, Seigneur of Anneville and its dependencies, nominated Jean Vibert as the Greffier of the Manorial Court. He has taken the oath and has promised to perform the duties associated with the office. Francois Machon and Francois Payn have taken the oath as officers of Varick for the harbours of Portelet and Mont Orgueil. 1760. June 5. The Prevot states that George Le Seeleur, Clement Hubert and Elie Stark, have found a log of oak and one of deal on the shores of this fie£ " Clement Laffoley has been sworn as V raic Officer for Anneport in the stead of Moses Laffoley. He has promised to perform the duties attendant "
upon t e post. 1765• May 31. Jean Le Lievre appointed for" the preservation of the Vraics" for the harbours of le vieux chateau and of Portelet in the place of Francois Machon deceased. h
I 77 4. November 4• Jean Le Lievre, "Varick" officer for the harbours of [e Vieux Chateau and Portelet was hailed before the Manorial Court because he had not summoned Mr. Josue de Quetteville who had been gathering seaweed contrary to orders (one of which was that it was forbidden to gather seaweed between sunset and sunrise). "The defendant Jean Le Lievre maintained that Mr. de Quetteville had gathered seaweed when the sun had risen." The Manorial Court ordered that witnesses be called in order that the case might be tried. At the next meeting of the Manorial Court on June 7, I775, after hearing the following witnesses Augustus Gallichan, John Liot, Susanne Pirouet, wife of phil. Payn, Jean Ie Four, the defendant was discharged. I777. July 2. " Seeing the non-appearance of Jean Le Lievre Officer for the Vraics at the Harbour of le Vieux Chateau, at the Manorial Court according to the terms of his appointment and seeing that this is the third time that he has failed to attend, it was decreed that he be notified by the Prevot to appear at the next meeting of the Court under penalty of being proceeded against. On December I7, I777 Jean Le Lievre, having put in an appearance and stating that he would do his job, was forgiven for his past misdeeds! I777. July 2. Jean Ahier and his wife, Jeanne Le Feuvre, were absent when summoned to appear for having gathered vraic contrary to orders. I777. December I7• After having heard Michel Mallet Officer for the Vraics, both Jean Ahier and his wife were fined (but the amount was not stated).
The only extant Rolls of the Manorial Court cover the years 1738 to 1727. In them are references to " Actes " dated July 5, 1683 and January 4, 1717. G. F. B. de Gruchy, M.A., in his work on Manorial Land Tenure says that on the Fiefs of Anneville and of Orglandes (in St. Ouen) it was the duty of the Bailiff of Jersey to act as SeneschaL The names of the Seneschals from 1738 to 1777 were Elie Dumaresq 1738-9, Richard Dumaresq 1740-1757, Edouard Payn 1760-1766, Thomas Pipon fils Jean 1772-1774, Thomas Pipon fils Josue, 1774-1777. Of the above, Elie Dumaresq was a jure-justicier and was the Seigneur of Augres Manor. The writer desires to thank Advocate M. de la Haye and Mr. A. J. Pepprell for their kindness in permitting him to consult the Manorial Rolls.