Therin family page
Francois Marie Therin married Francoise Marie Poulain in St Saviour in 1874
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
Therin is perhaps a variant of Therain, a name found in Normandy and Picardy, derived from the river Thérain, a tributary of the Oise, and several localities named after it. However, the members of the family who came to Jersey appear all to have originated in Ploeuc-sur-Lie in north Brittany.
The name first appears in Jersey birth records in the 1870s, and within a short period births were registered in St Lawrence, Trinity, St Saviour, St Ouen and St John. This is a typical pattern suggesting that either a Therin rrived in the island as a farmworker and moved from one farm to another, or two or more Therins, perhaps brothers, arrived in the island at the same time, but worked on different farms.
Great War service
- Peter James Therin (1898-1917) son of Peter and Jane Therin of Trinity, Gunner RGA, died from fever
- Leonard John Therin (1897- ) (Tr) son of Leonard and Jeanne, ex-RMIJ, Private RAMC
- Wilfred Therin (1889- ) (St O) son of Louis and Harriet, husband of Eliza Vibert, ex-RMIJ, Sergeant, Worcester Regiment
These wills created by members of the Therin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Pierre Thérin, La Chevre Rue, St Mary - 3 August 1945, D/Y/A/114
- Cyprien Thérin, Trinity - 21 October 1929, D/Y/A/89
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs