Origins of surname
Therin is perhaps a variant of Therain, a name found in Normandy and Picardy, derived from the river Thérain, a tributary of the Oise, and several localities named after it. However, the members of the family who came to Jersey appear all to have originated in Ploeuc-sur-Lie in north Brittany.
The name first appears in Jersey birth records in the 1870s, and within a short period births were registered in St Lawrence, Trinity, St Saviour, St Ouen and St John. This is a typical pattern suggesting that either a Therin rrived in the island as a farmworker and moved from one farm to another, or two or more Therins, perhaps brothers, arrived in the island at the same time, but worked on different farms.
As far as we can tell there is no connection between these trees, although all four families are believed to have originated in Ploeuc-sur-Lie, Brittany and undoubtedly have common ancestors there
- Descendants of Pierre Therin
- Descendants of Pierre Therin - 2 Added 2021
- Descendants of Pierre Therin - 3 Added 2021
- Descendants of Jan Therin Added 2021
- Therin baptisms in Jersey
- Therin marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Therin marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Therin burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Peter James Therin (1898-1917) son of Peter and Jane Therin of Trinity, Gunner RGA, died from fever
- Leonard John Therin (1897- ) (Tr) son of Leonard and Jeanne, ex-RMIJ, Private RAMC
- Wilfred Therin (1889- ) (St O) son of Louis and Harriet, husband of Eliza Vibert, ex-RMIJ, Sergeant, Worcester Regiment
These wills created by members of the Therin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Therin : Alfred , of Gardner House, 15, Clarence Road, St Helier - 31/Jul/1973 , 29/Oct/1974 , D/Y/B1/213/11
- Therin : Annie Sophie , widow of Charles Fossey, of Burr-oak, Augres, Trinity - 24/Sep/1970 , 24/Sep/1970 , D/Y/B1/150/11
- Therin : Cyprien , Trinity - 24/Jan/1925 , 21/Oct/1929 , D/Y/A/89/179
- Therin : Mabel Louisa , of 15, Trinity Road, St Helier - 30/Aug/1950 , 01/Dec/1967 , D/Y/B1/114/12
- Therin : Pierre Marie Francois , of Faldouet House, Gorey, St Martin and formerly of Mon Plaisir, St Mary - 29/Oct/1954 , 20/Jan/1967 , D/Y/B1/104/30
- Therin : Pierre Yves , La Chevre Rue, St Mary - 12/Sep/1939 , 03/Aug/1945 , D/Y/A/114/13
- Therin : Rosalie Marie Francoise , widow of Pierre Marie Rio, of Ocean View, La Moye, St Brelade - 27/Apr/1951 , 20/Jan/1966 , D/Y/B1/94/7
- Therin : Wilfred , of Sandybrook Hospital, Grouville Annexe, Grouville and formerly of Ancient House, Leoville, St Ouen - 11/Feb/1969 , 08/May/1973 , D/Y/B1/190/11
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form