Thompson family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
Literally ‘son of Thomas’ or ‘son of Tom’
The first Thompson baptisms in Jersey were the children of Stephen and an unknown wife in St Brelade in the first decade of the 18th century.
Andre and Jeanne Messervy had a number of children baptised in St Brelade in the 1740-50s, but there is no record of their marriage.
Thompson first appears in the marriage registers in St John in 1745, when William, a soldier, married Jeanne Giffard of St Peter. The following year another soldier, Peter Thompson, married Elizabeth Dolbel of Trinity at St Martin.
It has so far proved impossible to create a meaningful family tree for Thompson because despite the relatively large number of baptisms in the 18th and 19th centuries, links between generations are very difficult to prove. There was a succession of Thompson marriages in the 18th century, all involving immigrants.
Another soldier, Joseph, married Anne Mayne in St Saviour in 1780. Francois from Norwich married Anne Trundle, also from Norwich, in St Saviour the following year. John Thompson from London married Rachel Aubin of St Saviour in that parish in 1786; soldier George married Marie Roy of St Brelade, in St Saviour in 1792.
There was then a succession of Thompson marriages in St Helier from 1809 to 1838, involving soldiers James and Lewis, Thomas from Guernsey, William and William Gordon from Bristol, and finally Charles, apparently born in St Helier, but not in any Jersey baptism register.
Great War service
- William Henry Thompson (1892-1915) (Jersey) son of Frederick and Jane, Private, Durham Light Infantry, killed in action Jersey birth not confirmed
- Archibald Campbell Thompson (1883- ) (St B) son of Thomas and Elizabeth, husband of Mabel Mary Kate, ex-RMIJ, Gunner RGA
- Claude Matthew Thompson OV, Major, India, not Jerseyman
- George Frederick Thompson (St H), Private, Labour Corps, no local record found
- Henry Mariette Thompson (St B) ex-RMIJ, Private, RAMC, no local record found
These wills created by members of the Thompson family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Arthur Thompson - 21 August 1925, D/Y/A/85
- Henrietta Thomson née Bernard, 4 Waverley Terrace, St Saviour - 1 August 1936, D/Y/A/99
- Henry Thompson, retired Colonel, civil servant - 19 July 1938, D/Y/A/103
- James Thomson of 1 David Place, St Helier - 2 May 1901, D/Y/A/60
- James Thomson, 5 Elizabeth Place, St Helier - 19 September 1945, D/Y/A/114
- James Thomson, Sea Braes, St Clement - 20 January 1925, D/Y/A/85
- Jeanne Thompson of St Brelade 5 September 1789 - D/Y/A/14
- Joan Thompstone - 21 May 1930, D/Y/A/90
- Matthew Thompson of Durham, now of Claremont Villa, College Hill, St Helier, bequeaths to his eldest son the property Claremont Villa - 8 December 1897, D/Y/A/56
- Syndney Thompstone, La Ferrière, St Saviour, surgeon - 19 June 1935, D/Y/A/97
- William Thomson of St Helier 13 September 1740 - D/Y/A/7
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs