Tostevin family page
All Tostevins in Jersey appear to be descended from Guernsey families, which are much more numerous and older
Alfred Le Cornu, Mary Grose, nee Tostevin, Doris and Ruby
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
There are two theories of the origin of the surname Tostevin:
- From old French toster du vin meaning broiled in wine (Larousse dictionary of French surnames).
- An inhabitant of the town of Tostes in Normandy (in the same way that Poitevin is used to refer to someone from the French region of Poitou).
This is essentially a Guernsey family, but descendants moved to and settled in Jersey in the early 19th century (see tree below), creating a branch which eventually produced emigrants to Adelaide, Australia, and Minnesota, USA.
The earliest reference to the surname Tostevin in Guernsey was a Nicolas Tostevin who emigrated from Brittany in around 1514.
From information in a booklet found in the St Pierre du Bois church two stone masons called Tostevin came from Brittany to help build the church and stayed in St Pierre du Bois. One of those men was Nicolas Tostevin. The family had a long connection with the church in helping maintain it.
These are essentially the same family, and the two trees need to be taken together, because each has branches missing from the other
- Nicolas Tostevin b. c1470 Brittany, France
- Descendants of Pierre Tostevin, a Guernsey family which moved to Jersey and has branches in Australia and the USA
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Tostevin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Rebecca Tostevin, 20 Colomberie, St Helier - 31 December 1948, D/Y/A/120
- William Tostevin, 42 Aquila Road, St Helier - 15 May 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Charlotte Tostevin, Allegro House, Millbrook, widow - 17 June 1925, D/Y/A/85
- Peter Tostevin, Alton Lodge, Val Plaisant, St Helier - 19 April 1922, D/Y/A/82
- Nicholas Tostevin, Avenue House, Parade Road, St Helier, desires to be buried in Almorah Cemetery - 24 January 1931, D/Y/A/91
- George Tostevin, Millbrook St Helier, bequeaths to Charlotte Vallance Gale for life the property Allegro House, St Aubins Road, reversion to Mary Grose Tostevin - 1 December 1922, D/Y/A/82
Album of family pictures of Tostevins from Jersey, Australia and elsewhere
Click on any image to see a full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
- Pedgeley, David, Early Tostevins in Guernsey, Trans Soc Guern, 1998
- Pedgeley, David, A new look at the early Tostevins in Guernsey, Trans Soc Guern, 2000