Vale, Guernsey

From theislandwiki
(Redirected from Vale)
Jump to: navigation, search
Vale Crest

Contents

Introduction

The Vale parish is situated at the northern extremity of the island was formerly divided by the sea at a place called the Braye du Valle. That part of it, which at high water was separated from the rest of the island and to which there was formerly no communication but by the bridge at St Sampsons, was in consequence terms the Close and the remainder of the parish the Vale Vingtaine de l’Epine. By the unremitting exertions of Sir John Doyle, a late Lieutenant-Governor, this overflowed land was recovered, by the erection of another bridge near the Vale Church, by which 814 vergées have been brought into cultivation. Hill’s Historical Directory of the Channel Islands (1874)

Churches

Schools

Ancient Monuments

Leisure & Entertainment

Old Family Houses

Fiefs

Subdivisions

Coastline

(det)

See also

References

Links

Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs