Vardon family page
Elsie Vardon 1877-1959
If you can help with information about the Vardon family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a name which is well established in Britain but its ultimate origins are French, and although some Vardons are said to come from the city of Verdun in eastern France, it is more likely that those in Jersey originated in a small town of the same name in the Manche department of Normandy.
Local baptism records start in St Martin in the 1770s with the children of Louis Vardon and Elizabeth Renouf. It is probable that Louis was a religious refugee from France, although he and his wife are both described as 'from St Martin' in the 1772 marriage record.
Four years later Nicolas Vardon, who was born in France, married Francoise Laffolley of St Lawrence in St Mary. They also settled and raised a family in St Martin. It is possible that Nicolas was a brother, or close relative, of Louis.
Harry Vardon, Britain's greatest golfer of all time, was born into a Grouville family and although they are likely to have descended from the early St Martin family, we have been unable to establish a definite link. Harry Vardon's father's ancestry is shrouded in mystery. He was Philippe George Vardon, the son of George Vardon, but his mother was not recorded at his baptism in 1829 and cannot, as is shown in many online trees, have been either of the two wives of the George Vardon, the son of Jean and Jeanne Sohier, baptised in Grouville in 1802.
- Descendants of Pierre Vardon
- Descendants of Jean Vardon
- Descendants of Jean Vardon - 2, earlier generations of the above tree from a different source NEW
- Descendants of Philippe George Vardon NEW , descendancy removed from Descendants of Jean Vardon
- Harry Vardon, Britain's greatest golfer
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Vardon family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Helen Vardon of St Helier - 20 April 1896, D/Y/A/55
- Jeanne Vardon of St Helier, desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 5s 2 May 1849 - D/Y/A/27
- Philippe Vardon, 15 Le Geyt Street, St Helier - 20 February 1895, D/Y/A/54
- Lizzie Vardon, St Helier - 29 September 1937, D/Y/A/101
- John Vardon, St Martin - 5 December 1917, D/Y/A/77
- Philip Vardon, Uxbridge House, 34 Green Street, St Helier, bequeaths to Annie Jane Vardon Uxbridge House - 15 October 1943, D/Y/A/111
Family photograph album
Thomas Alfred Vardon (1872-1938), brother of Harry
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs