Vautier family page
Francois Vautier (1831-1896) (St My) emigrated to Victoria, pictured with Francis John (1865-1935)
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
This is a surname of French or possibly German-French origins. There appear to be two possible sources. The first according to the Dictionnaire Etymologique de France is as a dialectal Normandy version of the personal name 'Gautier', itself a development of the old German 'Walter'.
The second possibility is as a nickname from the Middle French vautor meaning a bird of prey.
It is a very old name in Jersey, appearing in the Short Inquisition of 1274.
Edmond and Sire Guillaume appear in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550
The first baptism records were in St Martin and neighbouring Grouville at the end of the 16th century.
- Elizabeth Vautier was born in St Saviour, Guernsey about 1604 and married Jean de la Mare on 2 February 1625. She died in July 1646
- Vauthier, French form
Jersey family trees
- Descendants of Pierre Vautier of Portinfer
- Descendants of Abraham Vautier of Leoville
- Descendants of Pierre Vautier
- Descendants of Jean Vautier
- Descendants of Clement Vautier
Great War service
Family photo album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs