Venement family page
Mary Venement, nee Le Feuvre
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
We have failed to find a derivation for this name, which is undoubtedly of French origin, but does not appear in any of our French sources. Other surname origins suggest that the 'ven-' could come from the French vendre, 'to sell' and that the name may, therefore, have indicated a market salesman.
Although the name does not appear in Jersey's official records until the early 17th century, baptism records show that it was present at least 30 or 40 years earlier.
The name has died out in Jersey and only three Veneman housholds are in the telephone directory for the whole of France.
- Venement, 1668
- Veneman, 1607
Great War service
- James Doras Venement (Gr) Private, Royal Fusiliers, wounded
These wills created by members of the Venement family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- François Venement of Grouville, bequeaths to the poor of Grouville, £18 of the order 10 December 1843 - D/Y/A/25
- James Venement of St Clement, now of 1 Grove Place, St Helier - 23 June 1896, D/Y/A/55
- Elizabeth Venement, 3 Windsor Terrace, St Helier, widow of John Cabot and Frederick Simpson 4 April 1895 4 April 1895- 24 October 1908, D/Y/A/67
- Louisa Venement, La Chapelle de Tours, St Clement - 16 September 1942, D/Y/A/109
- Jean Venement, son of Jean 8 April 1667 - D/Y/A/1
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs