Vera

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Vera in St Helier Harbour

The twin screw steamer Vera was built for the London and South Western Railway in 1898 by Clydebank E and S Company and was of 1,008 tons. She was built to replace the Dora as relief vessel for the Le Havre and Channel Islands routes, and was, at the time, one of the best-looking vessels in the fleet.

After a maiden voyage to Jersey she transferred to the Le Havre service, but returned to Channel Islands operations in 1899 after the loss of the Stella. She was replaced by the Alberta in 1900 and returned to Le Havre operations, and later to St Malo.

In the First World War she sank a U-boat by gunfire off the Isle of Wight. Vera reopened the Jersey-France line in 1932 when the Southern Railway revived this service, eventually being broken up in 1933.

Vera, outward bound from St Helier passing Elizabeth Castle
The dining salon
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs