Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Oaklands Lane, St Helier
Type of property
17th and 18th century houses
Sold for £375,000 in 2004 
Families associated with the property
- Richardson: Having been in the Richardson family in the 17th century, it was still in family ownership in 1941, although it is not known whether this was continuous ownership over 250 years. In 1941 Louise Richardson, née Le Vesconte (1879- ) was living here with her son Maurice Gaston Richardson (1907- )
- JRS 1768 - For Jean Richardson. Space left for wife never completed
- PPC EAB 1811 - For Philiippe Perchard and Elizabeth Aubin. Weighing stone in the garden not necessarily original to the property
Historic Environment Record entry
A grouping of Jersey rural houses of 17th and 18th century, with significant and rare survival of original 17th and 18th century interior and exterior features.
A single-storey south facing house circa 1698 with granite chimneys, with 1768 five-bay two-storey traditional farmhouse. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Old Jersey Houses
The entry in Vol Two refers to the earlier single-storey house which was built or bought by Philippe Richardson, son of Hugh, in about 1698, when his father was living at or near Ponterrin Mill, to the north in Trinity.
In 1768 Philippe's son Jean built the present west-facing house and put his initials with the date over the front door, leaving room for those of his wife.
It is a small house, only one room deep, with a slate roof, and brick chimneys put there about a century ago.
The entry also refers to unusual casement windows and stairs.
The author suggests that the property was named after a family called Mars, recorded in 1617.
Notes and references
- ↑ This sale is likely to have been part of the property, not both houses