Villeneuve family page
This family, of French origin, was only present in Jersey from the early 18th to mid-19th centuries
A damaged datestone found on the beach at St Aubin in 1980. It came from a cottage which stood on what is now the car park of the Royal Channel Island Yacht Club, demolished by the Germans during the Occupation. The 1728 stone records Jean Villeneuve (1669-1750), son of Gédeon of Orleans, a Huguenot refugee naturalised by the Royal Court on 4 March 1699, who married Marie Saint in 1693.
If you can help with information about the Villeneuve family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Villeneuve is French for new town, and there are many of them, from which the Jersey family could have originated.
The first church record in Jersey is the baptism of Elie, son of unknown parents, in St Brelade in 1699. It is known that his father was Huguenot refugee Jean, from St Lo. There were three more baptisms of children of Jean in 1702, 1704 and 1707. All family records were in St Brelade, and there are no baptisms after the end of the 18th century. Burial records suggest that the famil died out in the 1860s.
- de Villeneuve
- Villeneufve: Family wills are found using this convoluted spelling, which is not found elsewhere
These wills created by members of the Villeneufve family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Villeneufve : Anne , widow of Amice De Carteret - 21/May/1849 , 08/Oct/1851 , D/Y/A/27/142
- Villeneufve : Elizabeth , daughter of Jean, of St Brelade 06/07/1784 Desires to be buried in St Brelade's Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade, £20 tournois of the order of the King bequeaths to Jean Vincent, her cousin, the interest for 28 years on £200 sterling in consoli annuities in England - Unknown date , 21/Sep/1794 , D/Y/A/15/76
- Villeneufve : Gedeon , ... - 20/Feb/1766 , 27/Jul/1767 , D/Y/A/11/94
- Villeneufve : Jean , son of Jean - 07/May/1744 , 04/Jun/1744 , D/Y/A/7/87
- Villeneufve : Margueritte , widow of Charles Coutanche, of St Brelade 08/03/1804 Bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade, £100 of French currency - Unknown date , 01/Apr/1805 , D/Y/A/16/135