Vincent family page
The Rev Frederick Augustus Vincent
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
This name derives from the Latin Vincentius, a personal name of victory from vincere, to conquer. The popularity of the name in medieval Europe was partly due to the veneration in which the 3rd Century Spanish Martyr, St Vincent, was held. In medieval England, Vincent occurs in documents from 1200 onwards, usually in the Latinized form Vincencius as in the 1206 Curia Regis Rolls of Norfolk.
Although the name undoubtedly came to Jersey from France, it is not found in Normandy. It is predominantly a name from the north-east of the country.
The family name appears in the Extente of 1331 in Jersey.
The name first appears in baptism registers in St Ouen in the 1630s, but these family members are known to predate the church registers:
- Estienne Vincent was born in St Ouen about 1547 and had a daughter Sarah in 1572. She married Jonas Le Gresley
- Francis Vincent, possibly a son of Estienne, was born in 1567.
- Sarah Vincent was born in St Martin about 1629 and married Jean Dolbel there on 18 December 1650. She died in December 1675
- Vincent, 1331
- Vinchent 1528
- Descendants of Nicodeme Vincent
- Descendants of James Vincent
- Descendants of Collas Vincent
- Descendants of Jean Vincent
- Descendants of Jean Vincent and Francoise Le Feuvre, this tree overlaps the previous one, but is from a different source and has some extra details Added 2016
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Vincent family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ann Vincent, 27 Chevalier Road, St Helier, widow of Charles John Amy - 25 May 1909, D/Y/A/68
- Elizabeth Vincent, daughter of Elizabeth Le Feuvre of St Brelade, bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade, £4 of the order of the King 8 November 1788 - D/Y/A/14
- Frederic Vincent of St Peter, desires to be buried in St Peter's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, 1s 8 April 1847 - D/Y/A/26
- Frederick Vincent, St Saviour, bequeaths to Jack Vincent Langlois Chateau Clairval, St Saviour a field called Clos des Carrières, St Saviour, Vincent Villas, Albert Square, Albert Street, St Helier - 18 November 1935, D/Y/A/98
- George Vincent of 3, Almorah Crescent, St Helier - 6 March 1877, D/Y/A/39
- Kate Vincent, Osbourne House, Gorey Village, widow of William Richmond - 3 August 1928, D/Y/A/88
- Maria Vincent, Beaumont - 16 January 1931, D/Y/A/91
- Sydney Vincent, Gorey Village - 20 June 1941, D/Y/A/108
- Thomas Vincent of St Ouen 28 April 1750 - D/Y/A/8
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs