Waters family page
John Waters married Ann Loader in St Helier in 1804
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Although this name may be linked to water, and have been given to someone who lived by water, it could equally be a variant of Walter, and have derived from the old personal name Wauter, which itself is derived from the Germanic Waldhar.
The name reached Jersey towards the end of the 18th century, the first baptisms recorded being the children of John and Jeanne Gunney in St Martin in 1786, 1789 and 1792. There was also a baptism in St Saviour in 1791 of Molley Sukey, the daughter of solder John Waters and Marie Norman.
The provider of the family tree suggests that John and Jane Gunney were both born in Jersey, and married there, but we believe it to be more likely that they were immigrants. There is no marriage record for them, nor a baptism record for either.
Great War service
- George William Waters (1888- ) (St H) son of John Henry and Ellen, Mercantile Marine then Stoker RN, HMS Sandhurst
- John Henry George Waters (1879- ) (St H) son of John and Elizabeth Laffoley , Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Waters family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- John Waters of Carlton Lodge, Wellington Road, Kentish Town, Middlesex, now of Dublin, doctor of medicine - 2 December 1870, D/Y/A/35
- Charles Waters of St Helier - 21 March 1945, D/Y/A/113
- Florence Waters, 50 New Street, St Helier, widow of William Henry Clark and Charles Edward Barnes - 14 July 1931, D/Y/A/91