Archive pictures of the week - 2022

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search

2 January 2022

Grouville Bay

To welcome in the New Year we are reviving our Picture of the Week feature after a gap of over a year. Something had to give in late 2020 when our editor, Mike Bisson, had to take on the additional responsibility of webmaster, with many issues to resolve, but he hopes to be choosing a weekly feature picture throughout 2022. While deciding which to choose from the many interesting pictures which have been received in the past couple of weeks, this view of Grouville Bay in the late 19th century arrived, and because it shows something which was the subject of some mystery when it appeared as Picture of the Week back in 2016, it was a logical choice. Unfortunately it is not a particularly good quality image. It is taken from a Godfray postcard published in 1907, but the photograph was clearly taken some years earlier. The enlargement of the centre section below explains why. The building in the middle is clearly identified as Grouville Village Station, which for many years was the terminus of the Jersey Eastern Railway, until it was extended to Gorey Harbour in 1891. It is not possible to tell whether the line continues past the station in this photograph, but it can't be, because behind the station there is clearly a shipyard with a vessel under construction, and none were built at Gorey after 1883. This was the most southerly of the shipyards on the coast at Gorey, and as far as we are aware, there have been no other pictures published which show it in operation, although it does appear on plans of this part of the coast. What does not appear in this photograph is the coastal tower which stood to the left of the shipyard until it was demolished in 1871, so the picture can be dated between 1871 and 1883. What links this picture to the one chosen as our weekly feature picture in 2016 is the triangular structure to the right of the station. This was a windmill which was used to power a pump which extracted underground water to fill a tank next to the station so that the steam engines which operated on the railway line could have their tanks refilled. Initially this water was held in a tank next to the windmill, but later on, when the line was extended to Gorey Harbour, a more substantial tank was built next to the station platform


9 January 2022

Gorey seafront

We move along Jersey's east coast from last week's feature picture, but not very far, and with a photograph taken at about the same time. (Last week's picture of Grouville Bay would have been taken from somewhere on the high ground on the left of this one). This is a view of Gorey seafront from Castle Green, to the side of Mont Orgueil Castle. The image is not new to Jerripedia - we have had a copy since 2019 - but this one is much better quality. Although a number of the buildings are still there, the scene today is very different. This photograph was taken before a seawall was built to reclaim land in front of the buildings in the foreground, beyond the roofs of the line of buildings built at the foot of the castle along the quay. The reclaimed land was used to create a coast road, railway line and pedestrian promenade. That work was completed in 1888, so that gives us the latest possible date for the photograph. But it can be dated much more closely because we now know that the picture was taken by Gregory and Eddy, who were in business at 15 Bath Street between 1871 and 1877. They produced a set of photographs of island scenes in carte de visite format. The picture below, presumably taken at the same time, shows the view from the opposite direction. The upper photograph would have been taken from the grassy slope behind the masts of the vessels moored inside the harbour. The small vessels in the upper picture are oyster boats, remnants of the major fishing industry centered on Gorey from 1810 to 1870. On the shore in front of the boat with a sail is one of the many shipyards which were operating at Gorey from the mid-1840s, reaching their peak in the 1870s. There is no vessel on the stocks, but further along the coast, behind the oyster boat with a sale, a ship can be seen under construction on the beach. Ship building was not the only activity on the shore. The houses treated the beach as their back yards and a long line of washing is just discernible at the bottom of the picture. The third picture shows the scene from the same viewpoint 100 years or so later, and the bottom picture shows a similar view, but taken from the castle, in 2005. Many more pictures of Gorey over the years can be found in our Gorey photo gallery and we have also created a page showing more pictures from Gregory and Eddy's set, some of which have been in Jerripedia for several years; others are new to the website

16 January 2022

1860s outing

Jerripedia's Carriages and charabancs page has a large collection of photographs of outings for visitors and locals from the mid-19th century to more recent times:From the days of horse-drawn carriages to motorised charas. This one is of particularly good quality and can be dated quite precisely to between 1867 and 1871 - a century and a half back. It was clearly a busy day for Henry Pellow's Britannia Excursions because when they stopped at Greve de Lecq Pavilion, probably for lunch, there must have been passengers from at least two, and probably three vehicles to combine for this photograph. The location can be identified as Greve de Lecq Pavilion, known in later years as Pooley's, from the distinctive window and vertical board cladding. And the date when it was taken can be narrowed still further because construction work on the Pavilion is not believed to have started until 1868. The discovery of this picture has enabled us to update the existing page for this establishment. But there is a problem. The 1871 and 1881 St Ouen census books do not mention a hotel here. There could be several reasons for this: It had not been built, and the information about Bashford and Mercier only being in business at 15 Bath Street until 1871 is inaccurate; the hotel was closed for the winter at the time the census was held; the census enumerator could not be bothered to walk all the way down the hill to record the occupants of properties there. H Pellow, who owned Britannia Excursions has been identified as Henry Pellow, born in Cornwall in about 1828. He married Jane Lydia Carter, born in Guernsey in 1927, probably in that island and they were in Jersey by 1849 when son James Henry was born. They went on to have five more children up to 1861. That year's census shows Henry as a livery stable keeper employing seven men, living with his family at 21 New Street. Jane died in 1864, leaving Henry to bring up five surviving children aged three to 15. He married Ann Beaugie, of St John, in St Saviour in 1865. She was also a widower, formerly married to John Wyatt. Henry knocked seven years off his age for the wedding register entry, but restored them for the 1871 census when he was living and running a public house at 37 Bath Strees, with his wife, a servant and resident barmaid. He still had his livery business.

30 January 2022

Family portrait

This picture was taken in 1898, the year the baby, William Horace Cole, was born. He was born in Surrey, the son of George William Munden Cole and Rose Annie Pyett, who married in Esher in 1897. They came to Jersey the following year, where George took up a job as a piano tuner with Donaldsons. This picture also appears on the Cole family page, with more information about the family's history. Formal family photographs like this are very much a thing of the past. Today every family has a smart phone and no doubt millions more family photographs are taken than was the case 120 years ago. But how many will survive for another 120 years? William was to become a very prominent businessman in St Helier. He founded Coles Radio and many islanders bought their first television from him from the earliest days of broadcasting

7 February 2022

Radio workshop

As a follow-on to last week's picture featuring the Cole family, including William Horace Cole as a baby, this is a photograph of him in later years in his Cole Radio workshop in St Helier, with staff members. The picture, along with other Cole family photographs, which have been added to the Cole family page, was supplied to us by William Cole's granddaughter, Annie Raven-Hill.

14 February 2022

Ship building at Gorey

There are many surviving photographs of Jersey's 19th century ship building industry, the largest collection of which is in Jerripedia's - Picture gallery of Jersey shipbuilding. Every now and again a new image sufaces, and this week we were sent this one of a new vessel on the stocks at Gorey. At first we thought that it might be the same ship, a closer view of which has been in the website since 2011 (see below), but, although of similar size, they appear to have a different bow shape. This picture was probably taken in the 1870s, as were many of the others in our pages devoted to the island's amazing ship building industry. Most of them are not very sharp and clear, which is a great shame because this was some time after the dawn of photography and many much better quality images of other subjects in Jersey have survived. As a contrast I have included a third photograph, which was added to the website in 2021 and would undoubtedly have been Picture of the Week if the feature had not been suspended.


This is Hobart Harbour, Tasmania, in about 1875 and the vessel in the foreground is the 550-ton barque Wagoola, which was built in Clark's shipyard at West Park, Jersey in 1856. She was owned by Redfern, Alexander and Co, and registered London. The Wagoola was well known in the Hobart-London trade and her survival for two decades or more in the days when the lives of long-distance sailing vessels could be very short, is testimony to the skills of Jersey shipbuilders and the master mariners and their crews who sailed her

21 February 2022

Albert Pier clutter

This picture of the Albert Pier, taken from an amateur photographer's transparency, might seem a strange choice for Picture of the Week, but we chose it because it illustrates what a mess the main gateway to the island for passengers arriving by sea used to be at the peak of the island's tourism industry. The photograph was taken in 1970, when all passengers on boats from the UK and France were 'dumped' on the Albert Pier where, unless they had made arrangements to be collected or had a hire car awaiting them, they had to queue for a taxi or walk the length of the pier into the town. But what a mess awaited them! Two containers were parked next to the taxi rank, behind them a further collection of containers and a low loader with straw bales. How many negotiated this maze without being directed to the raised passenger promenade on the opposite side of the pier? The situation remained like this through the peak tourism years until the Elizabeth Harbour terminal opened in 1989

28 February 2022

Bathing machines

For as long as people have wanted to sit on sandy beaches, sunning themselves, West Park on the western outskirts of St Helier has been one of the best places to do that. But times have changed, certainly since Victorian attitudes required men and women wishing to enter the sea to cool off, to change into bathing costumes in the privacy of a bathing machine. This was a hut on wheels which was towed, often by a horse, to the water's edge. The custom dated back to about 1750, although perhaps not that early in Jersey, at which time those wishing to swim in the sea would do so naked, but continued after the introduction of swimwear, into the early 20th century. Bathing machines were to be found on beaches all along Jersey's south coast, most notably at West Park, First Tower and Greve d'Azette. This 19th century photograph shows just how popular they were at West Park
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs