The earliest Bechelet records in Jersey are of the 1717 baptism of Pierre, son of James, and the burial of Jean, son of James, the same year; followed by the birth of James' son Elie in 1720, and the burial of an unknown child of James in 1722. Then there is the 1738 marriage of Jean Bechelet to Susanne Norman, followed by the birth of their four children; followed in 1745 by the marriage of Elie to Elizabeth Selous. THere is then a 50-year gap in Bechelet records and it has not been possible to link any of these individuals to the head of the family tree below, Philippe Bechelet, who married Jeanne Hemery on 14 March 1814. The first of their six children was baptised just three months later.
The spelling Bachelet is quite common in Normandy and Brittany today, and was used alternately in the 19th century Jersey registers with Bechelet, which is the only spelling found in Jersey in the 20th century and today.
Bachelet and Le Bachelet are more common names in Guernsey than Jersey, and the families there can trace their origins back to France.
- Le Bachelet
- Bechelet baptisms in Jersey
- Bechelet marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Bechelet marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Bechelet burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Alfred Bechelet (1875-1918) husband of Frances Mary Edmunds, Stoker RN, HMS Louvain, killed in action
- Abraham Bechelet (1869- ) (St P) son of William and Francoise, Mercantile Marine
- Alfred Bechelet (1891- ) (St P) son of John and Augustine Renault, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Charles John Bechelet (1885- ) (St O) son of Charles Edward and Amelie, Gunner, Royal Marine Artillery
- William Philip Bechelet (1887- ) (St O) son of William Philip and Elizabeth Besselievre, Private, King's Own Scottish Borderers
These wills created by members of the Bechelet family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Bechelet : Alfred , of Rozel, Cleveland Avenue, St Helier and formerly of Villa Denmar, St Saviour - 14/Aug/1968 , 18/Jan/1972 , D/Y/B1/169/41
- Bechelet : Francis , of La Robeline, Grantez, St Ouen - 13/Jun/1979 , 13/Jun/1979 , D/Y/B1/301/41
- Bechelet : Louisa , of Clear View, St Lawrence Bequeaths to Francis Bechelet, 4 vergees of land in the western part of the close called La Landelle, St Ouen; to Florence Bechelet, the life enjoyment of 3 vergees of land in the north part of the Clos de Becquet in the Fief de Nobretez, St Peter; to Alfred John Bechelet, the reversion of the aforesaid north part of the Clos de Becquet; to Florence Bechelet, the rest of the land that she has rights to including La Picache, Le Petit Close, Le Pre de l'Est, Le Long Pre, Le Petit Pre, Le Jardin de Brun and Grand Jardin all in the Fief de la Reine, St Lawrence - 10/Feb/1953 , 27/Oct/1958 , D/Y/B1/51/6
- Bechelet : Victorine Emelie , nee Drouin, Dandaloo, First Tower, St Helier 25/05/1933 Bequeaths to Charles John Edward Haines the property Dandaloo, Bellozanne Road, First Tower, St Helier - Unknown date , 09/Feb/1938 , D/Y/A/102/22
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form