Origins of surname
This is an Anglo-Scottish surname. The Scots claim that it originates from Belford, a hamlet near Yetholm in Roxburgh, Scotland. Its now much larger 'neighbour' of Belford in Northumberland is a more likely origin for most English nameholders. Either way the surname comes from the region of the British Isles known as The Borders. The place name and hence the surname probably means 'good crossing'.
The first immigrant to Jersey appears to have been Jean (or more likely John at baptism) Belford (1773-1832) who married Francoise Vardon in Grouville in 1802. The couple had 15 children and were probably the ancestors of all the Belfords on record in the island before 1900.
- de Beleford
- Belford baptisms in Jersey
- Belford marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Belford marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Belford burials in Jersey
These wills created by members of the Belford family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Belford : George , of St Helier 18/07/1854 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 5 shillings - Unknown date , 28/Aug/1865 , D/Y/A/32/119
- Belford : James Francis , 2 Silvertide, Havre des Pas, St Helier 6/06/1911 Bequeaths to James Mauger Belford the goodwill of the businesses of 16 and 35 Halkett Place and 36 King Street - Unknown date , 07/Jun/1920 , D/Y/A/80/74
- Belford : James Mauger , of Sea Court, Bel Royal, St Lawrence - 07/Sep/1960 , 22/Sep/1961 , D/Y/B1/65/63
- Belford : John George , of St Helier 10/05/1859 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 5s - Unknown date , 11/Jul/1860 , D/Y/A/30/60
- Belford : Lilian Maud , widow of Henry Shirvell, of 4, Roseville Terrace, Roseville Street, St Helier - 26/Oct/1964 , 04/Feb/1969 , D/Y/B1/128/44
- Belford : Mary , of St Helier 11/01/1869 Desires to be buried in St Helier Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 5 shillings - Unknown date , 03/Feb/1869 , D/Y/A/34/76
- James Francis Belford ran a tobacconist at 26 King Street ...
- ... and Mary Ann Belford was a tobacconist across the road at 43 King Street in the 1860s
- Haberdashers Belford and Renouf were at 10 Queen Street in the 1870s ...
- ... Tobacconist James Francis Belford was at No 10 in the 1880s
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form