Origins of surname
This name comes from early English bydel, meaning 'beadle'. A beadle was a junior Court official in the Middle Ages, acting as an usher, delivering official notices, carrying the mace and making proclamations. Later on the beadle's chief function was to maintain law and order in his parish.
The name first appeared in Jersey church records with the baptism of William Thomas Biddle, son of James and Mary Wallace in St Helier in May 1845. Later that year the first of three children of George Biddle and Elizabeth Poulton was baptised in the same parish.
- Beadle, same derivation but a different family
- Biddle baptisms in Jersey
- Biddle marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Biddle marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Biddle burials in Jersey
Biddle family members who served in World War 1
Sons of Alfred Biddle and Isabella Rachel, nee Osmont
- Alfred Osmont Bittle (1878- ) (St H) Mercantile Marine
- Reginald Poulton Biddle (1888- ) (St H) Captain, Hampshire Regiment (Knighted for service and Docks and Marine Manager, Southern Region)
- Bertram George Biddle (1879- ) (St H) son of George Poulton and Fanny Maria, husband of Daisy, Private RAOC
Family histories and biographies
- Reginald Poulton Biddle, the Jerseyman who helped organise the 1940 evacuation
These wills created by members of the Biddle family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Biddle : Ada Milly , nee Gray, wife of Charles Poulton Biddle, of 34, St Saviour's Road, St Helier - 02/Feb/1945 , 07/Feb/1956 , D/Y/B1/34/17
- Biddle : Alfred , 2 Seeburg, La Rocque, St Clement - 23/Jul/1927 , 18/Jan/1934 , D/Y/A/95/92
- Biddle : Bertram Roy , of Bralma, Wellington Road, St Saviour - 17/May/1971 , 08/Feb/1980 , D/Y/B1/315/15
- Biddle : Blanche Gertrude , daughter of Alfred - 12/Mar/1934 , 22/Nov/1952 , D/Y/B1/16/38
- Biddle : Charles Poulton , of 9, Victoria Cottage Homes, St Saviour - 07/Feb/1956 , 09/Jun/1956 , D/Y/B1/36/12
- Biddle : Reginald Poulton , of Rozel, 83, Brookvale Road, Southampton, Hampshire - 21/Mar/1969 , 04/Jul/1972 , D/Y/B1/176/49
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form