Origins of surname
Derived from the French chambre, this was originally the person charged with looking after his lord's private quarters. In medieval times, servants in royal households were held in high regard, and frequently those who occupied senior positions enjoyed certain privileges, and the post would often become hereditary. The name is synonymous in origin with Chamberlain, which originally denoted an official in charge of the private chambers of his master, and later became a title of high rank.
The name first appeared in Jersey church records at the beginning of the 18th century, but after an initial flurry of baptisms of the children of Henry Chambers, there is a gap of almost a century before a family becomes established.
- Chambers baptisms in Jersey
- Chambers marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Chambers marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Chambers burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Donald Meredyth Chambers, OV, Lieutenant, South Staffordshire Regiment, wounded
- Frederick John Chambers (1884- ) (St H) son of Robert Halley and Caroline, Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Chambers family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Chambers : Charles John , of Mont des Fleurs, Daisy Hill, Gorey, Grouville - 17/Jul/1980 , 17/Jul/1980 , D/Y/B1/327/1
- Chambers : Edgar Martin , of Oakhurst, Four Elms Road, Edenbridge, Kent - 09/Nov/1935 , 09/Apr/1968 , D/Y/B1/118/39
- Chambers : Elizabeth , residing with Philip Journeaux of St Clement 16/01/1849 Desires to be buried in St Clement's Cemetery - Unknown date , 19/Mar/1849 , D/Y/A/27/14
- Chambers : Francis Gibaut , of 14, Church Row, Chislehurst, Kent - 18/Jan/1948 , 15/Jan/1955 , D/Y/B1/28/8
- Chambers : George , son of Tobias Alban, of Lowland's Farm, Trinity - 10/Sep/1937 , 23/Mar/1961 , D/Y/B1/63/64
- Chambers : Henry Francis Townshend , Devonshire House, Grouville - 25/Aug/1931 , 17/Feb/1934 , D/Y/A/95/116
- Chambers : James , of Essex, England, now of Gorey Village, Grouville - 27/Dec/1873 , 04/Jun/1877 , D/Y/A/39/106
- Chambers : James Trevor , of Balmoral Guest House, No 67, New St John's Road, St Helier - 04/Feb/1971 , 17/May/1978 , D/Y/B1/279/23
- Chambers : Margaret Elizabeth , Ommaroo, Havre des Pas 27/03/1933 Does not include real estate situated in Jersey - Unknown date , 19/Oct/1933 , D/Y/A/95/27
- Chambers : Sybil Marjorie , widow of Fred Pridham Coursens, of Casa Nova, Tabor Lane, St Brelade - 11/Nov/1973 , 11/Feb/1980 , D/Y/B1/315/17
- Chambers : Tom Norman , of Floresta, 2, Elizabeth Avenue, Route Orange, St Brelade - 02/Oct/1960 , 11/Nov/1965 , D/Y/B1/91/32
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form