Conway Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search




Conway Street


ConwaySt potato season.jpg

Potato lorries and horse-drawn vans queue in Conway Street during the height of the season


Conway Street runs from Broad Street to the Esplanade. It used to be a major artery for traffic from the centre or St Helier and areas to the north of the town to head either east or west, but it has become less busy as roads in the town centre have either been pedestrianised or restricted to through traffic

The Hotel de la Boule d'Or once stood in Conway Street

Conway Street was named after Henry Seymour Conway, Governor of Jersey from 1772 to 1795. It crosses an area previously covered in sand dunes, to end up on reclaimed land. Today the street is home to a number of financial organisations, and also to an eclectic collection of shops catering for the lunchtime requirements of those working in the banks and other businesses which dominate Broad Street and the surrounding area.

The timing of this photograph has not been positively identified, but it is believed to date from Liberation Day 1945 - 9 May - or a day or two later

Businesses

A strange gathering outside Albert Hunt's shop
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs