Owned by the Dartmouth Steam Packet Company, Eclair first arrived in Jersey in late June 1865.
She was built by Kirkpatrick, McIntyre and Company, at Glasgow, and launched on 16 May 1865.
An iron paddle steamer with two masts, she was 54 metres long and 210 tons.
She only served on the Channel Island route for four years because she was reported to be too large for available trade and she was chartered to Cardiff and Portishead Steamship Company in 1869 to operate the Bristol-Ilfracombe-Tenby service. She was eventually broken up in 1888.