Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Eden Country House
- Eden House
- Edan House Hotel
- Eden House Country Hotel
Grande Route de St Clement, St Clement
Type of property
Georgian style country house, used as school and later as guesthouse/hotel. This is one of a number of Jersey hotels which started life as private houses, and then became schools, before eventually converting to hotels. Eden House was home to Mr Le Feuvre's School in the middle of the 19th century. The school was founded by Philip Le Feuvre in about 1840, and subsequently run by his daughter, and son Henry.
It reverted to a private house for nearly 100 years, before being opened as a guest house in the 1950s by Mr and Mrs Philip Ahier. The name of the establishment progressed from Eden House Guest House, to Eden House Hotel and then Eden House Country Hotel, until it went the way of so many others and was converted to flats. The fine gardens which stood between the Georgian frontage and the main road sadly became a car park.
Now divided into a number of flats. No individual transactions on record
Families associated with the property
- Le Feuvre
Historic Environment Record entry
Formerly a grand 19th century country house in Georgian style. The principal frontage survives. It was home to Mr Le Feuvre's School and was founded by Philip Le Feuvre in about 1840. It was subsequently run by his children. The property was opened as a guest house in the 1950s.
Five-bay, two-storey with attic. Roof behind parapet with rendered gable chimneys. Principal stucco frontage survives with bold quoin strips, voussoirs and cornice. Three central bays project forwards under a pediment with oval window.