Origins of surname
Elliott is derived from one or more of a number of personal names. They include Elis, a form of Elijah; Elyat, based on a combination of Aethelgeat and Athelgyth; and Aelfweald.
There were ten marriages between Elliotts and local girls from 1764, when the name first appears in local records, and 1839.
Various spellings are found in the records for the same family, so it is difficult to tell exactly which version was adopted by which family group.
- Elliott baptisms in Jersey
- Elliott marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Elliott marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Elliott burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Horace William Elliott (1881-1917) son of Joseph and Jane Elliott of Pontac, OV, 2nd Lieutenant, Somerset Light Infantry, killed in action
- Alfred Elliott, ex-RMIJ, Private RJGB
- Alfred Francis Elliott (1898- ) (St B) son of Alfred Henry and Anne Mary Joly, Able Seaman RN, HMS Dolphin
- Archibald James Elliott (1881- ) (St ) son of Henry and Isabella Treloar, Petty Officer RN, HMS Vivid I
- Cyril Thompson Elliott, OV, 2nd Lieutenant, East Africans
- Frederick Henry Elliott (1896- ) (St H) son of Francis and Mary, Officer's Steward RN, HMS Barham
- Reginald Francis Elliott (1897- ) (St H) son of Williamand Beatrice, Driver RFA
- Richard John Elliott (1899- ) son of John Thomas and HenriettaTelegraphist RN, HMS Lord Nelson
These wills created by members of the Elliott family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Sarah Elliott, Blanc Pignon Lodge, St Brelade, widow of Charles Brown - 16 September 1912, D/Y/A/71
- Horace Elliott, sergeant in the Second Regiment, South African Mounted Riflemen, Natal Province, Union of South Africa - 13 September 1918, D/Y/A/78
- Edward Eliot, Vicar of Norton Bavant, Wilts - 1 July 1898, D/Y/A/57
- Alfred Elliott, 7 Hawthorne Terrace - 28 October 1903, D/Y/A/62
- Elizabeth Elliott, Stanley House, Havre-des-Pas - 15 June 1908, D/Y/A/67
- Joseph Elliott, Blackrock, St Clement - 28 May 1929, D/Y/A/89
- George Elliott, 101 Halkett Place, St Helier - 26 November 1947, D/Y/A/118
- Wilfred Elliott of the Cricketers Arms, Jersey - 10 November 1948, D/Y/A/120
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Horace Elliott at Ramleh War Cemetery, Israel
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form