English and Jersey Union Bank
Around 1860, Jean Le Neveu became the principal director in a new banking venture trading in St Helier as Le Neveu, Sorel et Cie. On 10 December 1863 a deed was passed in which the company, Le Neveu, Sorel et Cie Banquiers, acquired the premises of the English Union Bank, and it may have been as a result of that acquisition that the name English and Jersey Union Bank was coined, although Le Neveu, Sorel et Cie continued as the firm's 'social signature' on their bank notes.
This was followed five days later with the acquisition of further small premises in Brook Street. Both in these transactions, and others, Jean's fellow directors were listed as Thomas Sorel, Philippe Le Rossignol, Charles George Renouf, Joseph Dickson and Henry Luce Manuel. The last of these would become his youngest brother's business partner, principally as a public notary, but also as a stockbroker and insurance agent.
The bank advertised its premises as 5 Brook Street, and used the Union Bank of London and Widow T De Lisle and Co of Paris as their English and French agents.
Ten years later the bank suffered from the panic caused by the failure of other local banks - particularly the Jersey Joint Stock Bank - and decided to sell its business to the island's first English bank, the Hampshire Banking Company, in September 1873. This was done principally to stem the escalating losses of capital. The Hampshire Banking Company was subsequently taken over by the Capital and Counties Bank. They, in turn, were taken over by Lloyds Bank.