Today Five Oaks is a busy junction on the outer fringe of the urban sprawl of town of St Helier which has continued some way into the neighbouring parish of St Saviour. What was once a quiet country crossroads, with lanes leading to St Martin, La Hougue Bie, St Saviour's Church and Mont Millais is now surrounded with houses and commercial premises.
And although the original appearance of the area has been mimicked by the creation of a 'village green' adjacent to the Five Oaks public house and the planting of oaks on the inn's boundary, the original five trees which gave the area its name are long gone. They originally surrounded a wooden cross on a grassy mound diagonally opposite, where a garage is now situated. The cross and trees were removed in 1833 to open up the area to horse-drawn traffic.
It was the cross which gave the area its older name of Croix de Bois. The cross has long vanished, but a granite block with the inscription Croix de Bois remains, moved from its original site to the other side of the roundabout in 1951.
From 1977 to 2020 Five Oaks was home to the Jersey Evening Post, which relocated from it's original home on the corner of Bath Street and Charles Street in the centre of St Helier to what was formerly a potato canning factory on the left of the road leading to St Martin. As the newspaper business declined and staff numbers were dramatically reduced, the newspaper relocated again to rented offices in Bath Street, opposite its former base.
Before the newspaper's former headquarters are builders' merchants Huelin's, and the Le Geyt Centre, run by Jersey Mencap for children with special needs. It stands on the site previously occupied by Le Geyt Farm, at a time when the surrounding area was all open fields.
The new Five Oaks Hotel is diagonally opposite the former premises, now replaced by small shops.
About 500 metres from the junction is a lavoir owned by the National Trust for Jersey.