- Fonthill Cottage
Trinity Hill, St Helier
Type of property
Mid-19th century house on site of earlier house. The distinctive front verandah shown in Victorian photographs has long since disappeared and has been replaced by a porch over the front entrance
Families associated with the property
- Blampied: A rente book at Jersey Archive records rente due to Thomas Le Quesne Blampied in the period 1911-1933 for the property
- Amy: Ruth Godfray Amy (1901- ) and Christine Amy (1893- ) were living here in 1941
Historic Environment Record entry
This fine early-mid 19th century house retains its historic character and important isolated aspect with magnificent views over the town. A high quality interior survives. Good quality stable range to the rear.
Main house built 1840. An earlier house is recorded on this site in 1805, as belonging to a George Touzel. Construction details and materials noted in the cellar could point to this being part of the earlier site.
Detached symmetrical house, two-storey, three-bay. Roof set back behind parapet.
Central entrance-passage opens into a square reception-hall via a secondary glazed door with arched overlight. The open mahogany staircase has a round handrail. Under-stair panelling conceals the entrance to the cellar. There is a large niche at mezzanine-level. All doors are four-panel originals and sit within panelled cases.
Ground floor main rooms: mid-19th century marble chimney-pieces, with modern fire-grates. Large original ceiling rosettes and edge mouldings, with an elaborate classical running detail. Internal shutters. Dining-dividers that now slide, but originally folded.
Upper floor bedrooms retain fireplaces.
Cellar: evidence of an earlier house existing on this site or its walls having been constructed from material that has been brought from elsewhere - including stone/timber from a demolition of an early house. There is a blocked door and rough-worked quoins to all openings, also 19th century brick wine racks.
Old Jersey Houses