Frederick Baker and Sons
Frederick Baker and Sons was one of St Helier's main department stores through the first half of the 20th century and again after the German Occupation, along with A de Gruchy and Co, Voisin's and Noel and Porter in King Street. It came on the scene some time later than the other three, the first mention being in the 1891 census which showed Frederick Baker, a draper, living with wife Mary (1862- ) and trading as a draper at No 13. By 1895 the business was known as Amy and Baker, and by 1905, owned by Frederick Baker and advertising itself as British Drapery Stores, it occupied Nos 9, 13 and 15. Eventually it would absorb no 11, which remained in separate ownership for a long time.
The Baker family acquired rivals Noel and Porter in 1953, but both businesses were closed in the 1960s and the substantial property holdings sold and the sites redeveloped.