Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
79 Stopford Road, St Helier
Type of property
19th century detached town house
£2,000 sale in 1933
Historic Environment Record entry
A distinct late 19th century property, retaining original exterior features and some interior features, and contributing to streetscape character.
Detached, three-bay, two-storey with basement. First floor windows either side of centre are in pairs with bay windows beneath them. Single window at centre above door. Small balcony above doorway with stucco balusters. Length of rear elevation has extensions from various periods. Bay window at end of wing supported on iron columns. Currently used as Health Centre.
In 1933 the Lodge was sold to the Jersey District Nursing Association for £2,000. District nursing in Jersey began early in the 20th century, with many parishes establishing their own associations. By 1928 there were five associations in the island affiliated to the Queen's Nursing Institute and by 1839, at the outbreak of war, there were 16 Queen's Nurses working in the Channel Islands.
The 1946 annual report of the JDNA gives an idea of the range of work carried out by the district nurses at the time. They dealt with 100 attendances at their ante-natal clinic, 1,668 patients at the minor ailment clinic for children of school age, 7,500 nursing visits to patients and 444 children were given diphtheria vaccinations.
Today the property is home to the Alcohol and Drugs Service.