Gloucester Street runs from the Parade to the Esplanade past the front entrance to the General Hospital. It was built in the early 19th century on what were previously sand dunes, as the town of St Helier began to expand to the west, and was an important link between the Parade and the cast when troops were garrisoned in the hospital building. The Street was named after the King's nephew, the Duke of Gloucester, who came to Jersey in 1817.
A magnificent ceremonial arch was erected across the road for the visit of Queen Victoria in 1846 and because this was very much one of the 'gateways' to St Helier in Victorian times, further arches were erected at times of subsequent celebrations.
- A history of Gloucester Street, an article based on a Jersey Archive presentation in 2016
- History of Gloucester Street, a further Jersey Archive presentation from 2019