Harding family page
This English surname made its first appearance in Jersey in the early 18th century
Nelson Samuel Harding
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name means son of the hard one.
The first appearance of the name in Jersey church records was in 1716, when George son of John was baptised in St Lawrence. There is then a gap until 1803 when Catherine, daughter of another John and Mary, was baptised in St Helier. It was not until 1829, with the baptism in St Helier of Joseph Thomas son of John and Esther Elizabeth Gallichan, that a family began to become established.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Harding family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Harding : Charlotte , nee Davies, Maupertuis, St Clement 5/01/1924 Bequeaths to Arthur Westall Crawford Maupertuis, reversion to Richard Goldie Crawford, Arthur Westall Crawford and John Crawford Perchard - Unknown date , 19/Mar/1927 , D/Y/A/87/52
- Harding : Edith Margaret , wife of Edwin Marcus Falloon, of Clos de Horman, Val de la Mare, St Peter - 19/Jan/1972 , 19/Jan/1972 , D/Y/B1/169/45
- Harding : Gertrude Annabella , Beulah, Gorey Village - 15/Nov/1932 , 28/Apr/1939 , D/Y/A/104/109
- Harding : Jean Margaret Constance , of 6, Undercliffe Road, St Helier - 20/Sep/1972 , 04/Jun/1973 , D/Y/B1/191/17
- Harding : Julie Marie Denise , divorced wife of Denis Cottam, of The Briary, St Martin - 14/Jul/1975 , 14/Jul/1975 , D/Y/B1/225/13
- Harding : Nellie Dorothy , wife of William Savage, of Regina, Anne Port Hill, St Martin - 04/Jul/1951 , 03/May/1955 , D/Y/B1/30/8
- Harding : Olive Irene , of Leoville, St Ouen - 23/May/1960 , 06/Apr/1979 , D/Y/B1/297/35
- Harding : Phyllis , wife of Thomas Stephen Jenkins, of Flat 2, La Pouquelaye Flats, La Pouquelaye, St Helier - 23/Aug/1967 , 23/Aug/1967 , D/Y/B1/110/50
- Harding : Robert Stanley , son of William Henry Thomas, of 24, Midvale Road, St Helier Bequeaths to his nephew Henry Anthony Warner Harding, the farm known as La Prairie, St Mary - 14/Jun/1948 , 28/May/1956 , D/Y/B1/36/1
Family photo album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Thomas Sidney Harding at Nine Elms Military Cemetery, Thelus