Origins of surname
The surname was first found in Lancashire at Heywood, near Bury. It is a Saxon name denoting the site of a wood in a field, or a wood surrounded by fields - 'high wood'.
John Heywood (1824-1886) came to Jersey from Devon and married Mary Ann Redway in 1850, to start the family in the island.
- Heywood baptisms in Jersey
- Heywood marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Heywood marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Heywood burials in Jersey
Great War service
All these Heywoods are Descendants of John Heywood
- Gordon Thomas Heywood (1885- ) (St H) son of Henry George and Alice Maud Brooks, Driver, RFA
- Mary Hazel Baltus Heywood, wife of Sydney Ernest Heywood, British Red Cross
- Maud Clara Heywood (1890- ) (St H), daughter of above British Red Cross
- William Henry George Heywood (St H), Private, Devonshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Heywood family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Heywood : Charles Osborne , of Doowhey, Plat Douet Road, St Clement - 04/Jul/1962 , 02/Apr/1963 , D/Y/B1/73/46
- Heywood : Elizabeth , nee Fitzpatrick, Doowhey, Plat Douet Road, St Clement - 31/Mar/1937 , 02/Dec/1939 , D/Y/A/105/101
- Heywood : Gordon Thomas , of 36, Aquila Road, St Helier - 23/Apr/1926 , 11/Feb/1955 , D/Y/B1/28/35
- Heywood : Herbert Percy , of 58, Clubley Estate, New St John's Road, St Helier - 06/Jul/1953 , 31/May/1955 , D/Y/B1/31/6
- Heywood : John Thomas , 3 Pomona Road, St Helier - 20/Jan/1919 , 03/Mar/1919 , D/Y/A/79/21
- Heywood : Sidney Ernest , 38 Croft Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, builder - Unknown date , 29/Oct/1947 , D/Y/A/118/96
- Heywood : William Henry George , 1 Peter Street, St Helier 8/03/1932 Bequeaths to Ronald William Lewis Heywood the house and shop at 31 Poonah Road, St Helier - Unknown date , 05/Dec/1945 , D/Y/A/114/161
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form