Jean family page
This family has been present in Jersey since at least the 13th century
Albert Jean in Militia uniform at a camp at Les Quennevais, St Brelade
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The family name is derived from the given name Jean.
The surname appears in baptism records from the first decade of the 17th century, but the name was known in the island over 400 years earlier.
- Jean, 1274
- Johan, 1309
- John 1299
- Joan 1299
- Johannis, 1270
- Descendants of Abraham Jean Added 2016 , a lesson in the inaccuracy of many Ancestry trees
- Descendants of Elie Jean
- Descendants of Philippe Jean
- Descendants of Philippe Jean and Jeanne Gabourel
- Descendants of Philippe Jean - 2 Added 2021
- Descendants of Theodore Jean
- Descendants of Jean Jean Added 2018
- Descendants of Jean Jean - 2, a different Jean from the above Added 2018
Great War service
- Albert George Jean (St P), Private in Lancashire Fusiliers, ex-RMIJ
- Albert William Hubert Jean (St H) Sgt Royal Garrison Artillery
- Andre Jean (Fr), Private 74th Regiment d'Infanterie, OV
- Ernest Peter Jean (St S), Company Quartermaster Sergeant, Australian Infantry
- George James Jean (St L), Sgt Royal Jersey Garrison Battalion, ex-RMIJ
- John Watson Jean (1888- ) (St O) son of John George and Annie, Captain RAF, DSM twice, OV
- William Watson Jean (1890- ) (St H), son of John George and Annie, nee Watson, Staff Sergeant, Canadian Infantry, OV
Emigrants to Canada
- Edward Jean's petition for land in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
- John Jean's petitions for land in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs