A drawing of l'Amiral in a sorry state in the 1960s from Old Jersey Houses
L'Amiral fell into ruins after being occupied by the Germans during the Occupation. An arched doorway and parts of a fireplace were removed in the 1960s to be used in the owner's nearby property, l'Abri.
Features of the house in the past included a separate building housing a bread oven and another, known as L'aitre a vrai used for burning vraic for fertiliser. Joan Stevens  also noted chamfer stops on a fireplace carved as faces.
The house was owned by the Brideaux family for at least 100 years, being listed on the 1849 Godfray map in their name and remaining so until the Germans occupied it.
Alfred John Brideaux (1875- ) one of 13 children of Elias Jean Brideaux (1849-1908) and Mary Ann Pirouet (1852-1932), was born in the house and told Mrs Stevens that it was one of the legendary 20 de Carteret houses, built by Philippe de Carteret of nearby St Ouen's Manor
Notes and references
- ↑ OJH 1:84