Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Grande Route de Rozel
Type of property
Mid-19th century farm group 
Families associated with the property
- Pallot: The 1901 census shows two families at La Fosse, one farming and one retired. Farmer John George Pallot (1852- ) was living with his wife Amelia Mary, nee Ahier (1857- ), sons Stanley (1880- ), Clifford (1884- ), Wesley (1891- ) and Garnet (1897- ); and daughters Lilian (1887- ) and Amelia (1895- ). Also in the houshold was Amelia's mother Elizabeth Ahier (1820- )
- Renouf: The second family at La Fosse was headed by retired farmer Thomas Renouf (1832- ), living with his wife Rachel, nee Jeune (1834- ) and daughter Mabel (1873- )
- 18 TCB EAB 45 - Probably for Thomas Cabot (Tr) and Esther Aubin (St Mt), who married in St Helier in 1821. 
Historic Environment Record entry
This mid-19th century farm group retains its integrity, with the outbuildings being of finer construction than is usual. The house retains its character outside and inside with some historic features remaining, of particular note are the corbelled fireplaces and staircase.
Former two-storey farmstead with detached two-storey outbuildings running north/south to west; and single storey outbuildings to southwest.
Notes and references
- ↑ As can be seen in the photograph this three-bay granite house is unusual in that there is no entrance in the front facade. This does not appear to be the original layout, because why would the datestone be a lintel over the centre ground-floor window? It looks as if the front door was replaced with a window at some point in the property's history, with access now in the side gable
- ↑ This represents a substantial gap between the couple's marriage and the erection of the stone, but it was almost certainly erected when work was undertaken on the premises some time after they moved in. The only record we have been able to find for the family is in the 1851 census. That census did not record addresses, or even roads, in rural St Martin, but the family were almost certainly living at La Fosse. Thomas (1795- ) was farming nine acres, and living with him and Esther (1799- ) were their sons Philip (1825- ) and John (1835- ), both carpenters, youngest son Charles, and daughters Esther, Mary Ann and Marguerite. The couple had a total of nine children. Philippe was born in St Martin, but the next four were baptised in Trinity. Jean, in 1834, was the next to be baptised in St Martin, suggesting that the family may have moved to the parish about then