La Hougue

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


La Hougue, St Peter


LaHougue.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H20LaHougue2.jpg

Property name

La Hougue. The name suggests that it was the site of a pre-historic mound, but no trace of that remains. Nor are there any remnants of the earlier house which was the birthplace of Philippe de Carteret (1639-1683) who was the first Governor of New Jersey.

Other names

  • The Mill
  • La Hougue Mews

Location

Grande Route de St Pierre

Type of property

This magnificent St Peter mansion, owned for a time in the late 20th and early 21st centuries by international golfer Ian Woosnam, was built in 1822 by Philippe Le Feuvre. It replaced an already impressive house owned by the wealthy merchants Fiott and previously by a branch of the de Carterets.

Valuations

There are no recent transactions for the house, but 1 La Hougue Mews changed hands for £414,000 in 2006 and £620,000 in 2008. No 2 La Hougue Mews was sold for £435,000 in 2006

In 1790 Elizabeth de Carteret advertised the original house for sale in the Gazette de l'Ile de Jersey

Families associated with the property

  • De Carteret
  • Fiott
  • Le Feuvre: La Hougue has a long association with the Le Feuvre family. The main house was sold out of the family by Alice Mary Le Feuvre in 1932 and La Hougue Farm was still owned by Le Feuvres in 2024, despite a brief ownership by the Le Cornu family in the 1950s. Maps show that a previous property existed on the site of the current house and it was this property that was originally purchased by the Le Feuvre family in 1799.
  • Le Cornu: In 1943 Clarence Edward Le Cornu was farming at La Hougue, and at that time he placed an agricultural war claim for destruction of his crops. His claim was for hay, wheat and oak damage on 11 fields and nine vergées of meadows. Inspectors visited the farm and verified the claim at an assessment of £9 10s 10d for damage to wheat and oats.


Datestones

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This 'villa' of 1822 is of grand style, retaining many historic features. The presence of the German carvings are of historical note. Built in 1822 by Philippe Le Feuvre in colonial style.

Taken over by the Germans during the Occupation and used as a rest home. Ceiling beams in the study, which were carved and painted in the Bavarian style by the Germans at that time.

A letter from the Bailiff’s Chambers Occupation files, dated 18 October 1943, shows that La Hougue was used as a Soldatenheim, or soldier’s home, during the Occupation. La Hougue was called Soldatenheim 4 and the letter shows that 24 pints of fresh milk were to be delivered to the farm on a daily basis by farmer Le Rossignol, who was listed as being the neighbouring farmer at La Hougue Farm.

Old Jersey Houses

Volume One has a brief reference to the site before the current house was built, and then Volume Two describes the property and its history in detail.

A stone on the east side of the house bears PLF 1822 for Philippe Le Feuvre, who built it. In 1840 he and his wife Anne Le Bas made a partage, dividing their property between their wto sons, Philippe, the elder, inheriting La Hougue, and George William, the younger, Les Niemes. Les Niemes was inherited by Anne and was rebuilt by her and her husband. In the partage La Hougue is described as la chefve maison de sondit pere, communement appellee La Hougue, situee en la paroisse de St Pierre, avec les offices, tour d'echelle, les cours, le hogard, etangs, lavoir, chasses, issues et avenues.....

The elder son also chose as part of his share numerous parcels of Le Feuvre land at Val de la Mare, as well as some land which Anne's father Nicolas had bought from Pierre Alexandre. The lavoir mentioned almost certainly disappeared when the Germans made a cutting where the stream runs down to Val de la Mare.

An older house stood on the site of La Hougue, and was inherited by Philippe de Carteret, first Governor of New Jersey, who by his will of 1682 left all his property in the island to his mother, Rachel La Cloche, wife of Helier de Carteret, or, if she predeceased him, to his siblings, of whom there were eight.

In the 18th century La Hougue belonged to the Fiot family. Daniel Messervy records that in 1769 Colonel Bentinck held a review of the militia, after which he and some other officers dined with Captain Nics Fiot a la Haughe.

An appairiement of the Fief de Vingt Livres of about 1775 gives the Chef de Charette No 18 as Nicholas Fiot, sa maison communement appellee La Hougue.

It is interesting to compare the two houses which Philippe Le Feuvre built, La Hougue in 1822 and Les Niemes in 1829. The earlier is the typical five-bay vernacular house with exposed quoins, a stucco facade flush with the granite, and a granite string course. The porch is quite elaborate, with fluted columns. There are small single-storey wings, with side louvres for ventilation of their roof space, and traditional gable stones at the corners. Were these dower wings provided for grandmothers?

The stairs have a slightly flattened mahogany handrail, applique decoration, and a pretty semi-circular 'scoop' at the foot, fully panelled. In the kitchen and one bedroom are curious hybrid doors with four panels. The principal bedroom was designed as a drawing room, which is not uncommon, and it has a handsome ceiling rose and decorated cornice. The back door has an elaborate fanlight, and above a door on the landing of the stairs is a carving, presumably in granite, but now whitewashed, of a bull's head. The kitchen has a curious, and unexplained, small cupboard at a very high level.

Notes and references


G21LaHougue.jpg
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs