Not a marriage stone
The datestone which gives the main clue to the age of this La Haule property is a perfect example of how it is so often a mistake to refer to these stones as marriage stones. They rarely commemorated marriages, but more frequently a significant event in the life of the house.
Brelade Janvrin, a wealthy shipowner, married Elizabeth de Lecq in 1749, but the door lintel at Le Coin is engraved BIV EDL 1762, and that is the date the house is believed to have been built. It passed to Brelade's son Francois (1750-1812), who married Elizabeth Sheppard, and then to their eldest daughter Elizabeth Jeanne (1776-1842) in 1812.
de Lisle owners
She married Guernseyman Frederick de Lisle (1772-1851) and the family appears to have spent most of its time in London, where the majority of nine children were born, although Mary Jane was born in Jersey in 1815 and Ann Letitia, the youngest, in Guernsey in 1822.
Frederick died a year after his eldest son Frederick Janvrin de Lisle, who therefore never inherited the La Haule property, as suggested in Joan Stevens's Old Jersey Houses. It passed to the only remaining surviving son, Richard Francis Valpy de Lisle (1818-1894). He was an army surgeon, who served with the 96th Regiment of Foot and then the 4th (King's Own) Regiment.
He spent most of his working life overseas, first in Malta, than at the siege and fall of Sebastopol. He was awarded the Legion d'Honneur by the French Emperor for his services in the war against Russia, and then transferred to India. He retired in 1867 and returned to Jersey, presumably to live at Le Coin, which he sold in 1885 to John Alfred Seale, then Constable of St Brelade, for £1,600.
Le Coin has some interesting fatures, including a large first floor room used as a drawing room. This was not uncommon at the time, particularly in houses in St Brelade which enjoyed a fine view of St Aubin and the bay from an upper storey.