If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Le Mottais Farm
- La Mottee 
Rue du Muet
Type of property
18th century or earlier farmhouse
The property sold for £3.3 million in 2013
Families associated with the property
- Le Mottee: The names suggest that this was originally a Le Mottee/Le Mottais family property, although the sequence of datestones suggests that it was not built by them, but passed into the family by marriage
- IM 1665 - On lintel, and IM on salting trough
- DBS EM 1785 - For Daniel Bisson
- 92 DBS FDLC 1819 - For Daniel Bisson
Datestones on the property can trace its ownership as far back as 1665, when it is believed to have been very isolated.
Over a door to a stable, which, as with many farm properties, was probably formerly the main living accommodation, is a lintel inscribed IM 1665, which has been associated with Jean Marche, son of Jean, who married Jeanne Le Motey in 1668. Marche is not a family whose tree is easy to follow, and online records confuse Marche, de la Marche, Le Marchand and other variations. It was essentially a St John family in the 17th century, and this is further complicated by the loss of records for this parish.
In 1750 another Jean Marche married Esther Le Mottais. Their only daughter married Daniel Bisson in 1776 and further datestones record the Bisson family's ownership of the farm. DBS EM 1785 records work undertaken by Daniel and Esther; DBS FDLC 1819 records their son Daniel, who married Florence de La Cour in 1801.
Historic Environment Record entry
House with 18th century, and likely earlier, origins retaining some original features and character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Two-storey, L-plan farm group (earlier house with later wing at right angles to rear). House with irregular bays, pitched pantile roof, dressed granite chimneys with thatch stones.
The rough granite of the facade strongly suggests that this house is earlier than the 1700s
Old Jersey Houses
Not included in either volume, although the datestones, which indicate that the property should have merited a place in Volume One, are listed
Notes and references
- ↑ There seems to be some dispute between recent owners, HER, and historical records, as to whether this property should be called Le Mottee or La Mottee. The family name after which it is named is Le Mottee, it was previously known as Le Mottais Farm