Origins of surname
The original Le Pennec was a stubborn man, because this name is derived from the Breton for 'pig-headed'.
The name first appears in Jersey birth registers in the 1880s
- Le Pennec
- Le Pesnecq, 1500
- Le Penec, 1495
Jersey family trees
- Descendants of Yves Le Pennec Added 2021
- 1891 - Jean Marie (1861- ), wife Marie (1867- ) and children Jean (1889- ), Josephine (1890- ), Toussaint (1894- ), Adele (1896- ) and Francois (1897- )
- 1901 - Tousaaint (1876- ) (Fr), wife Jeanne (1876- ), and children Amice (1890- ) and Alice (1899)
- 1901 - Jean (1871- ) and wife Marie Louise (1870- ) and children August (1889- ), Marie Louise (1891- ), Albert (1892- ), Victorine (1897- ) and Jean (1899- ).
- 1911 - Toussaint, Jeanne, Aimee (1901- ), Toussaint (1903- ), Andre (1906- ) and Marie (1910- )
- Le Pennec baptisms in Jersey
- Le Pennec marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Le Pennec marriages in Jersey (bride)
Le Pennec family members who served in World War 1
Two brothers, sons of Jean and Marie Le Pennec, both died in 1916
- Alfred Le Pennec (1893-1916), Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles, killed in action
- Toussaint Philip Le Pennec, Corporal, Rifle Brigade, died of wounds
Two island resident Frenchmen who died in the war
- Francois Marie Le Pennec, perhaps also the son of Jean and Marie
- Joseph Marie Le Pennec
- Charles Le Pennec (St P), Private, Royal Defence Corps
- Emile Le Pennec (St P), Private, Royal Warwickshire Regiment
This will created by a member of the Le Pennec family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jean Le Pennec, Maiden Rose, Anne Port, St Martin - 10 December 1948, D/Y/A/120
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form