Pré au Portier
The name of this Fauvic property, also found as Pré du Portier, is a reference to the Master Porter of Mont Orgueil Castle. It was first associated with the area in 1614, and is noted again in the Extente for 1749. .
Most Jersey houses face south, to allow the maximum amount of light to penetrate what were once somewhat small windows. Pré au Portier is unusual in that it faces north. There is a decorated stone on the east gable, and one with a date which is possibly 1706 on the west.
In the middle of the 19th century the house was in the ownership of J Godfray, but it has not been possible to identify which branch of the Godfray family he belonged to.
Notes and references
- ↑ OJH II, 180