- Les Catieaux - The spelling used in the HER record, but not found elsewhere 
Rue des Cateaux, Trinity
Type of property
Group of farm buildings
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Gros
- EIN ♥ KBS 1766 - For Edouard Journeaux of Trinity who married Catherine Bisson of St John at Trinity in November 1740
- PLG ♥ IJB 1777 - For Philippe Le Gros and Jeanne Joubaire, who bought the property from George Hamon in 1767, and whose son was Constable of Trinity
- PLG 1768 HB - According to OJH, for Philippe Le Gros, father of the Philippe above. The property had been in the Le Gros family for some time. It was later inherited by C S Le Gros, a member of a different branch of the same family. In that case the stone probably originally read PLG 1768 ILB, for Philippe Le Gros and Jeanne Le Bas, who were the parents of the later Philippe. The Jersey Datestone Register also takes the view that the stone may have been altered, but without giving an explanation
- 1663 RHM - For Richard Hamon
- PHM 1663 - In a shield in the roadside wall, for Philippe Hamon
- PHM MBP 1693 - For Philippe Hamon and Marie Blampied of Trinity
- 19 JCB ♥♥ RBL 37 - For St John Catel Cabot and Rita Eva Billot
Historic Environment Record entry
A group of 17th century Jersey farmhouses and associated farm buildings maintaining their integrity as a farm group and the houses in particular retaining original features. Two houses placed at right angles that appear to be close in date, the south facing one being older. Both have arched entrances. Evidence that the east facing had a tourelle staircase.
Evidence of a 17th century entrance, based on chamfered uprights and surviving dated keystone.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Farm group consisting of two houses, one small (Two-storey, four-bay), larger one at right angles and to the north of it (five-bay, two-storey) joined to L-shaped farm buildings.
Nine-stone chamfered Jersey arch at centre of small house with double voussoirs.
Old Jersey Houses
This house is situated close to the earthworks known as Les Cateaux. This was a medievel refuge camp, for protection againsdt raids, but it fell out of use before 1500.
There are here two houses, curisouly placed at right angles, and seeming to be fairly near in date. Each has a round arched entrance, one facing south, and one facing east, the former being the older.
THere used to be some blue aqnd white tiles, of considerable age, round the main bedroom fireplace, but they have been moved to another property. There are also thought to have been some oil paintings above both bedroom fireplaces in the east-facing house, built into the woodwork surrounds above the mantelpiece, but these have also disappeared.
There are signs that there was a 17th century entrance, as there are typical chamfered upright stones on the right, and the present occupant thinks this was so.
This property has no fewer than six datestones, which qualify it for its own dedicated page in the Datestone Register
Notes and references
- ↑ We have not found any justification for adding the 'i' in Catieaux, either in historical or present-day records