- Les Minquiers are situated 9 miles south of Jersey, and are administratively part of the Parish of Grouville.
- Les Ecréhous are situated 6 miles north-east of Jersey (8 miles from France), and are administratively part of the Parish of St Martin.
In 1950 Britain and France went to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for a decision on which country the Minquiers and Ecréhous belonged to. The French fished in the waters, but Jersey exercised various administrative rights. Certain maps showed the Ecréhous islands as not being part of Jersey. The ICJ considered the historical evidence, and in its Judgment of 17 November 1953 awarded the islands to Jersey.