Moon family page
Ada Rose Moon (1908-2006) with her husband Clifford Touzel
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name has nothing to with the celestial body but has its origins in Moyon, a place in Normandy. William de Moion was a follower of William Le Conqueror.
An alternative derivation is from the old French moun = 'monk' referring to a lay person who led a monkish way of life.
A third possible origin is the Cornish mon = 'thin'
The first appearance of this surname in Jersey records was the baptism of eight children of James Presley Moon and Elizabeth Smith between 1842 and 1857
- Moon baptisms in Jersey
- Moon marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Moon marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Moon burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Albert William Moon (1878- ) (St P) son of ALbert and Mary, husband of Ada, Private, RASC
- Henry Harvald Moon (1893- ) (St H) son of Albert Henry and Mary Frances Davey
- Leonard George Moon (Tr), L-Cpl, RJGB
These wills created by members of the family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Moon of St Aubin, late of the Royal Navy - 4 July 1896, D/Y/A/55
- Albert Moon, 13 Charles Street, St Helier - 2 July 1932, D/Y/A/93
- Archie Moon, School House, Rogerstone, Monmouth , D/Y/A/119
- Leonard Moon, Trinity Manor Farm, Trinity - 3 April 1946, D/Y/A/115
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs