Mount Bingham

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Mount Bingham/
South Hill


Mount Bingham is at the southern end of Mont de La Ville, the hill overlooking the town of St Helier, on Which Fort Regent was built. The area has always been known as South Hill, although it is now commonly known to islanders as Mount Bingham, so named after 1920s Lieut-Governor Sir Francis Richard Bingham. The road which circles the hill on the coastal side from Pier Road to La Collette is also known as Mount Bingham


This picture of St Helier Harbour and Elizabeth Castle beyond, viewed from South Hill, was painted by renowned Jersey artist Philip Ouless in 1868. Ouless was better known for his commissioned paintings of Jersey-based and built ships, but he also recorded views of the island in the mid-19th century which form important historical records of the Victorian era
1965 Evening Post aerial photograph
South Hill with La Collette in the foreground, yet to be reclaimed, and the Harbour behind
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs