No 11 Broad Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


11 Broad Street, St Helier


BroadStPOSiteVictorian.jpg
How the south side of Broad Street looked in the 19th century. These three buildings are, from left to right, Nos 11, 13 and 15



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

This photograph from the 1910s shows No 11 on the left, with an ornate streety lantern suspended in front. This was some time before the building was remodelled for the Jersey Electricity Company

Property name

11 Broad Street

Other names

Commercial House

Location

Broad Street, St Helier

No 11 in the 21st century

Type of property

Town shop

Valuations

Sold for £6.8 million in 2005

Families and businesses associated with the property

For several years in the 1870s and '80s there was a bank at 11 Broad Street. This was the Commercial Banking Company. It was preceded in 1852 by merchant Henry Bragg, about whom nothing else is known. There were several tenements behind the Broad Street frontage, but the 1861 and 1871 census returns do not shown anyone obviously trading from the premises.

In the 1890s Misses Whetton are listed in almanac street directories, followed by W Moyse and S Picot in the 1910s, '20s and '30s, before the property was entirely refurbished for the Jersey Electricity Company to move there in January 1939. They have moved their retail operation to Queen's Road and 11 Broad Street, having been a toy shop for several years, is home to Pound Magic.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An idiosyncratic example of 1930s street architecture which retains its original Art Deco character. Some well designed and crafted original external features including a very rare light fitting. Circa 1935, designed by Roy Blampied for the Jersey Electricity Company. Three-storey (third storey set back), two-bay.

Between bays is mounted a white glazed column light with geometric bracket at the base.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs