11 King Street
The first business to trade from 11 King Street was Charles Le Masurier's grocery, which was already open in 1833. The 1841 census shows Charles (1806- ) living there with his wife Frances (1801- ), and children Elizabeth (1833- ), James (1834- ), Mary (1837- ) and Richard (1838- ).
It is something of a mystery what happened to the business and the family between 1841 and 1851, because the later census shows no sign of any of them living in Jersey and the only occupants of No 11 were GP John Lean, shipwright John Vaudin and Irish labourer Patrick Lehan, and their families.
The next record of a business at No 11 in 1874, when Charles George Renouf is shown running a grocery, and this business continued there until the 1900s, eventually run by Charles George's son Charles Stephen. The Renoufs specialised in tea.
By 1912 John Tregear had taken over dealing in provisions, and he remained for nearly two decades, before Au Caprice acquired the property and established their fancy goods and perfumery business, which ran for half a century from 1940 to 1990.
John Tregear also traded at 25 King Street, where he opened an oriental tearoom on the first floor of the premises, not here at No 11 as previously shown.
- 1833 - C Le Masurier, grocers and spirts dealer
- 1851 - Occupants listed in census were GP John Lean, shipwright John Vaudin and his family, and Irish labourer Patrick Lehan and his family
- 1861 - unoccupied in census
- 1871 - not listed in census
- 1874-1900 - Charles George Renouf, grocer
- 1903 - Charles Stephen Renouf, grocer
- 1912-1930 - John Tregear, provision dealer
- 1940-1990 - Au Caprice, fancy goods then perfumer
- 2000 - Evans