No 12 Broad Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


12 and 12½ Broad Street, St Helier


H22No12BroadStreet.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

When this picture was taken in the 1970s No 12, just left of centre, was a single property, although it already housed two separate shops at ground floor level

Property name

12 and 12½ Broad Street

Location

Broad Street, St Helier

Type of property

Previously one 19th century town house and shop, this property has now been divided into two two-bay units. Both run through to King Street

Valuations

12 Broad Street and 55 King Street sold for £950,000 in 2013

Families and businesses associated with the property

12 Broad Street was the only premises on this side of the street known to have housed a bank. In the 1852 Post Office directory the Jersey British Exchange Bank is shown there, as well as milliner Mrs Fanny Hamont (1815- ). The 1851 census reveals her to have been born in Finistere, the wife of Trouet Hamont, a Cooper, born in the Seine department of France. Their daughter Louise (1835- ) was born in Garonne.

In 1861 the occupants were John Watson (1797- ) a tin plate maker, and his wife Elizabeth, born the same year, a bonnet maker. Ten years later the occupation of head of widowed household Anne Arthur (1821- ) was also milliner. She had her schoolmistress daughter Anne (1848- ) living with her.

The family of watchmaker and jeweller Henry Courtenay, born in England in 1822, were the next occupants of the premises. He was married to Jemima, nee Baxter (1830-1873) and they had children John (1853- ), William Henry (1855-1911), Alice (1856- ), Philip Frederick (1858- ), Elizabeth (1859-1941) and Emma Louisa (1861- ). William Henry married Louisa Emily Miller (1859-1929) and they had six children, Henry William (1882- ), Frederick John (1885- ), Nellie Elizabeth (1886- ), Arthur Thomas (1887-1905), Charles George (1892-1914) and Katherine Alice (1894- ).

Tea dealer and stationer William Rose was shown as the occupier of No 12 in 1886 and 1890 almanacs, followed by his widow in 1895. The premises backed on to 55 King Street. Mrs Selina Stevens ran a fancy repository in the 1900s and then hosier William Henry Saunders was in business until the 1950s, followed by Wellman's and G Longstreeth.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Mid-late 19th century building that contributes to the character of this section of Broad Street. One of a pair of shops. 3 storey, 2 bay. Front, southwest elevation: slate roof with rendered chimneystack to west gable. Walls render with ashlar effect. Windows 4 pane (2/2) timber round headed sash windows. Shop floor runs through to King Street.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs