No 12 Hill Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


12 Hill Street, St Helier


H24Nos12-14HillStreet.png



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

12 Hill Street

Location

Hill Street, St Helier

Type of property

Lawyers' and insurance offices

Valuations

Sold for £646,000 in 2010

Families and businesses associated with the property

Although the property was first listed in the 1851 census, it did not appear in almanac street directories until 1886

Almanac listings

  • 1886: J P Crill, solicitor; P Le Feuvre, junion solicitor; Col James Godfray; R R Lempriere, advocate; C Roberts, commission agent; Mrs Vautier
  • 1890: P H Le Brun; P Le Feuvre; R R Lempriere; C Roberts
  • 1895: P H Le Brun; T Lamb
  • 1900: J Le Rossignol; A G Messrvy; C W Best; Mrs Lamb; P J W Briard
  • 1905-1910: J E Pinel; A G Messervy; C W Binet; P Beuzeval; P J W Briard
  • 1915-1920: J F Le Cornu; G de G Ahier; Alfred Messervy, Treasurer of Impots; C W Binet; P Beuzeval
  • 1925: Alfred Messervy, Treasurer of Impots; C W Binet; M Alavoine; P J Bree; J Davidson; H D S Romeril; E Elie
  • 1930: North British and Mercantile Insurance; C P Rumfitt; Royal British Legion; C W Binet; J Davidson; G Messervy; Maj Gibbins; W Mahoney
  • 1935: North British and Mercantile Insurance; Royal British Legion; C W Binet; W Mahoney; C Ahier; R Mayne
  • 1940: North British and Mercantile Insurance; Royal British Legion; C W Binet; C Ahier; W Mahoney; J Smith
  • 1950: North British and Mercantile Insurance; Ocean Marine Insurance; Royal British Legion; Fine Art and General Insurance; Railway Passenger Association; C P Rumfitt; S Mahoney; E J Becquet
  • 1955: North British and Mercantile Insurance; Royal British Legion; Railway Passenger Association; C P Rumfitt; S Mahoney; Guarantee Trust of Jersey
  • 1960: North British and Mercantile Insurance; Royal British Legion; Railway Passenger Association; C P Rumfitt; Guarantee Trust
  • 1965: E S Taylor; Royal British Legion; Van Oostenbrugge and Conoops
  • 1970: B E Troy; Booth and COmpany; Boulter and Tumblety; Maw Ellis Warne and Connolly; Coppin and Company
  • 1980: Troy and Michel; C Sweet, chiropodist; B Bolderston
  • 1990: Troy and Michel; C Sweet; B Bolderston; G Le Maistre; R G S Fielding

Census returns

  • 1851: John Arthur, 27, ship's carpenter; Ann, 31, grocer; Ann, 3. Owen Smith, 53, Chelsea Pensioner; Mary, 43; Ann, 12, dressmaker's apprentice. John Mallet, 55, tailor. George Le Blancq, 25, blacksmith; Mary, 23, dressmaker
  • 1861: John Arthur, Ann, Ann and Eliza. Joshua Garnier, 30, carpenter, Elizabeth, 26; Joshua, George and Charles.
  • 1871: James Giffard, 40, Nancy, 54, Tepherina, Alice
  • 1881: Philip de Gruchy, 72, shoemaker, Mary, 74
  • 1891: William Brewer, 43, ship's carpenter; Mary Ann, 32; William, Matthew, Edward. Thomas Lamb, 49, tailor; Jane, 33, George, 10
  • 1901: Francis Jeune, 40, telephone labourer; Ophelia, 41, William, Ivy, Charles


Occupation registration

In 1941 William James Mahoney (1894- ), his wife Susan Jefery, nee Thompson (1898- ) and their son William George (1926- ) were living here

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This well proportioned 3 bay 1820s house, built as one of a pair (with No 14), still retains many historic features and lends a great deal to its twin and its street context.

A building is shown on this site in the 1834 Le Gros map.

Mid-terrace, three-storey, three-bay. Front elevation: slate mansard roof sits behind a low parapet with modern dormers. Painted render finish with ashlar effect. Central six-panel timber door with glazed overlight, topped by a console with brackets. Timber windows, most of which have now lost their glazing bars, though those of the top storey have survived, and one on the street-level has margin-lights.

Interior features include Swanage flagstones in the entrance, a fine wooden moulded chimney piece in an upper room, a staircase with turned bat-shaped newel post and stick balusters and a two-panel understair cupboard door. All these features date to about the 1820s.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs